Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Agfa Flexilette
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Agfa Flexilette Reply with quote

This is a camera that went everywhere with me in the 70's. I sold it for more than i paid and considered it a worthwhile profit. I regretted it later in years. The flexilette was a great camera, not the most intuititive to use but gave great results. Contrasty and sharp. What more do you need? It always attracted attention from photographers and laypeople alike. I love the quirky design. My little collection has a few quirky models, such as the Argus C3 and the Rollei b35 (german of course)

I bought this one recently on the bay and paid exactly what I got for the old one, so cheaper in real terms after 30 years. In fact I got a case with this one. Fab! I can't wait to give this a blast, probably this weekend.

some photos of my new baby...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny looking beastie but fun and eye catching. Do you get 36 frames to a roll?

Congratulations on replacing your old friend.

K.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

womble wrote:
Funny looking beastie but fun and eye catching. Do you get 36 frames to a roll?

Congratulations on replacing your old friend.

K.

Hi Kris, yes It takes normal size frames, were you thinking it was square format?

Portrait is a pain, but you focus using the bright split screen then use the lensed sportsfinder it's ok.

No flash shoe either so a bracket is mandatory!

I'm beginning to remember the bad side in my relationship with my 'friend'!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a few of these on the bay. Their finders have put me off as I suspect they're rubbish.

Am I correct?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so cute! Laughing Laughing Gongratulations!

Here in Finland has been also one for sale for some time. http://www.kameratori.fi/viewitem/1867
I've been looking that for a while with wondering should I get it from there or not. Should I??? Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I've seen a few of these on the bay. Their finders have put me off as I suspect they're rubbish.

Am I correct?

The finders are big and bright, a lens rather than a ground glass with a large spilt image prism in the centre makes accurate focusing a doddle. I honestly wish I could have a finder as good as that in my SLR's

The only problem with the flexilette finder is the screen magnifier, sometimes the catch 'malfunctions' making it rise above horizontal, and not clipping into the closed position. I'm sure its a simple job to fix. Meanwhile I'll have to keep my thumb on it to focus.

But no the viewfinder is fab. Better than most TLR's (in my experience).

hemmo wrote:

It's so cute! Gongratulations!

Here in Finland has been also one for sale for some time. http://www.kameratori.fi/viewitem/1867
I've been looking that for a while with wondering should I get it from there or not. Should I???

Hemmo, try it, 60 euros is a bit more than I paid, I paid exactly the retail price (in 1962) BUT the one looks clean, has a case and the magnifier clips down. A bonus! Worth it I think. You'll be amazed how good that Color Apotar triplet lens is. Accurate focus is a great help .

Last edited by philslizzy on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phil. I'll see what turns up. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Hi Kris, yes It takes normal size frames, were you thinking it was square format?

I did wonder... I'm sorta tempted simply because it looks so wacky... Smile

K.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

womble wrote:
philslizzy wrote:

I did wonder... I'm sorta tempted simply because it looks so wacky... Smile

K.

Wacky, yes I agree. but a great performer. Like any TLR you have to take your time when taking a pic. The sports finder with lens is brilliant and accurate and is fast to use. The shutter release is in a natural position if you use the finder but you wind the film with your left thumb. I remember my mum commented: "who'd want to buy a camera that takes the photos upside down?"

Can you understand why I regretted selling my first one?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all this your great information about the Flexilette philslizzy
.. and also your Mum's great comment about it Laughing Laughing

I look few more weeks about that one on sale and if it's still there after that I'll order it (I really don't need an other 35mm but after your infos and it's very attractive design.. .. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting ! Waiting for the pics !

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW: When I first time saw some pics about the Flexilette camera, I went searching some information about it and found this site http://www.fotografiareflex.net/tlr35new.html
There's also some others very interesting looking 35mm TRLs. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hemmo wrote:
BTW: When I first time saw some pics about the Flexilette camera, I went searching some information about it and found this site http://www.fotografiareflex.net/tlr35new.html
There's also some others very interesting looking 35mm TRLs. Very Happy

I looked at this site some time ago, it came up when searching for info on the flexilette. and there are some weird and wonderful machines there. I want them! Try finding some of them on ebay, rare as rocking horse shoes (as my mum says)

I'm working funny hours these weeks, on the build up to christmas but I'll grab a few shots in the few daylight hours I see and post them.

Thanks for all your comments everyone.

Anyone else here got one?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some photos done today. Very disappointed with the scans, you can see streaking and 'grain', or is that the development. And they are not sharp at all. Got them done at Jessop £8 dev and disc. dearer than ASDA (£3) and no better quality. Pics anyway'

I expected this to be flary, the sun was barely behind the wall on the left

In conclusion, it was nice to use the camera today, focus was simple, the exposures were sunny 16 guesstimated, a little overexposed if you look at the negs. I must find decent lab that wont charge the earth for good scans. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only tried Asda once for colour film and found them to be as good if not better than other labs. I tend to stick with B&W and home process/scan.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had problems with one film processed at my local Tesco's and had a word with the lady in charge of the department who told me that the processing machine is calibrated once a day by sending via email a test process back to Fuji ( who's machine it is ) and they send back instructions as to whether to change the chemicals and adjust the settings. And she said there's very little that the operator can do to get it wrong. There are adjustments on the machine, but they should only be altered to the requirement of the calibration, and they have to resend info' back to Fuji until it's right.
But, having said that, the problem I had was obviously with the processing. When I got home an hour or so later and looked at the neg's they were sticky. Obviously the wash hadn't been done properly, so the dev' chemicals were probably still active and I got horrid colours and all manner of streaks on the neg's where I dragged them from the sleeve. I washed them thoroughly and managed to save a few frames. I think it was the machine that was faulty, maybe a loss of water pressure or something ?
Generally I have good results from the supermarket processing because the expensive machine does the job and precludes the operator to a major degree, and possibly it's only the big operations like the supermarkets, and big commercial processors, that can afford state of the art machines ?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I've only tried Asda once for colour film and found them to be as good if not better than other labs. I tend to stick with B&W and home process/scan.

You were lucky our ASDA has muddy colours and has done consistently for months. Jessops not too bad and Spielmann better than the old days. Not tried Spielmann's scans yet. Next film goes there.

My best D&P was in Lodz, Poland recently, crisp vibrant colours, lovely. But very expensive over there. We could have had dinner for two for the same money

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maan, the flash bracket well gets in the way of winding-on. now I'm remembering why it went. Its like resuming a relationship with someone you fell out with years ago. Little things keep coming back to remind you why you separated!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
maan, the flash bracket well gets in the way of winding-on. now I'm remembering why it went. Its like resuming a relationship with someone you fell out with years ago. Little things keep coming back to remind you why you separated!
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing