Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

(Outdoors) comparing three 28mm lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:40 am    Post subject: (Outdoors) comparing three 28mm lenses Reply with quote

As a follow-up / improvement on my initial comparison yesterday, this morning I photographed the same (boring) backyard scene with three 28mm lenses (actually one of them being the Fujifilm XF 27mm).
I specifically wanted to see how the Pentax Takumar and Canon FD lenses matched up against each other. And of course, how good the native Fujifilm lens is, in comparison.

Here are the settings that I used on my Fujifilm X-Pro2:

ISO value 800
Shutter speed 1/1000
Aperture f/8 (probably the sweet spot of all lenses, and a sensible choice for city / landscape scenes)
Film simulation: Pro Neg Hi (noise reduction set to -4, sharpness to 0)
White balance: cloudy

The lenses compared:

#1 Fujifilm XF 27mm (the baseline)
#2 Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 28/3.5
#3 Canon new FD 28/2.8

Looking at the full resolution files, before downscaling, here are my impressions:

Sharpness center & edge: #1 Fujifilm #2 Takumar #3 Canon FD
Contrast and colors: #1 Fujifilm #2 Takumar (but close to the XF27) #3 Canon FD
Color fringing: #1 Fujiflm (by a wide marging!) #2 and #3 shared place Takumar and Canon FD
Overall impression: #1 Fujifilm #2 Takumar #3 Canon FD

In good light, stopped down to f/8, the differences between the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 28/3.5 and the Canon (new) FD 28/2.8 are small but visible.
Neither one is great for the color fringing, but the Takumar is a bit sharper and has livelier colors.

The Fujifilm XF 27mm f/2.8 easily beats both of them, which shouldn't come as a surprise.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valuable observations, but I think the most interesting thing we've established is that your cat prefers the Takumar.
Laugh 1