Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

plastic Holga lens on digital cameras?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: plastic Holga lens on digital cameras? Reply with quote

This lens comes in EOS, Nikon, Sony NEX, Samsung NX, m4/3, maybe more and sells for
<$16USD on ebay. A few flickr faves:

First pic is with a Nikon D90, purple flower is with a NEX 3, last one is with a NEX 7, can't remember the Canon models
of the others. Has anyone tried this lens? Not for everyone, granted. Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://youtu.be/RLgM0Pac6qA

This video made me not ever to think about buying one.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikonshooter wrote:
http://youtu.be/RLgM0Pac6qA

This video made me not ever to think about buying one.

+1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, yep, not for everyone. The two guys in the vid liked the
Holga, but not the PinWide. The Holga does give some interesting atmosphere and
mood that I rather like, a few more flickr:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: plastic Holga lens on digital cameras? Reply with quote

Hi!

Katastrofo wrote:
This lens comes in EOS, Nikon, Sony NEX, Samsung NX, m4/3, maybe more and sells for
<$16USD on ebay. Has anyone tried this lens? Not for everyone, granted. Laughing

I have tried this lens, today, in fact. I got my copy for $6, including shipping, and it's well worth that price. 25mm, f8 fixed, native m43 mount, all plastic, extremely light: ~25g including a set of flimsy caps.

Take a look at these pictures. Raw from the camera, then jpeg conversion by Lightroom4. No cropping, no post-processing other than LR4's minimal sharpening for screen display. I like it, even though it is certainly the technically worst lens I own, and by a large margin.

Cheers!

#1: crank and sprocket

#2: sun with tree

#3: autumn leaves

#4: rope swing

#5: still life

#6: blowsy rose

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bill these came out much better than i wouldve expected--a tribute to your talent no doubt. obviously if you know what youre doing, and the lens character with which youre dealing, you can produce some pretty cool stuff.

im actually doing the opposite: putting a large format graflex lens on my holga pan 120!
tony

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks, for Canon Holga might be an interesting toy, for m4/3 Fujian 25mm f1.4 c-mount is about the same price and a lot more fun due to fast aperture.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glasslover, thanks for sharing your photos and experiences!

Tony, those are flickr photos from other people, but thanks!

Fermy, excellent work, love these! I thought it would be a fun
thing to try, certainly not much money involved. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Katastrofo. It's charmingly awful with curvature of field like the world has never seen before and extreme barrel distortion. The sperical wall in the last shot is supposed to be straight Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it wonderful? It's like Dali in a lens... Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is quite a fun lens to own for the money. Doubt you can get a more interesting lens for less. I got the plastic lens version aforementioned and the pinhole version. Each for 15 usd (with shipping ) of ebay.

Plastic lens examples :

Pinhole examples :