Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New Vivitar 35mm SLR
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: New Vivitar 35mm SLR Reply with quote

Apologies in advance if someone has already posted this, but it is good news if you like film photography:

http://www.vivitar.com/products/8/professional-and-slr/34/v3800-50

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly I not expect any success, Vivitar SLR camera has no status symbol like Leica RF cameras have, even Leica-R bodies are cheap. I see no point to buy it new once countless used one available on low price. No fanatic fan boys like LOMO, probably they not sell any Sad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think vivitar needs to restructure their company to get back into the game. They need to cut any product that's not bringing in much money. If they start to focus on making great products again like some of their old series 1 lens then people might start to think about them again. Too bad Kino Precision isn't around anymore, but they could buy whatever intellectual property they have and hire the smart people(if they are still alive) to work for them.

But hey that's just me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it's good that they are still making 35mm SLRs in China.

But I have to admit, whenever I see Vivitar I associate the name with mediocrity. I've yet to try any Vivitar product that was better than 'okay'.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was amazed on how many other film cameras are still being sold:-

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Film-Cameras/Ns/p_PRODUCT_SHORT_DESCR%7C1/ci/9812/N/4288586278

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting pricing, an M7 body only is 5 grand and a Zeiss Ikon with Biogon 2/35 is 2,300. That M7 doesn't look like a sensible purchase at all.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, Vivitar's products have always been something else rebranded. The new Samyang lenses are excellent, for example. I also have an 85/1.8 which renders a wonderful smooth bokeh Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did see this ad via another source and got a little interested, but the price isn't going to make it attractive.

ManualFocus-G wrote:
To be fair, Vivitar's products have always been something else rebranded. The new Samyang lenses are excellent, for example. I also have an 85/1.8 which renders a wonderful smooth bokeh Smile

It's what they're rebranding though. Later Vivitar was pretty crappy compared to the original Series 1 range.