Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena 135/3.5 on the E-M5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena 135/3.5 on the E-M5 Reply with quote

For anyone who might be interested.... here are my first results with the CZJ 135/3.5 Sonnar on the E-M5:

The first is a shot at f/3.5:

This is f/8:

The last one, for comparison, the 45-200 Panasonic AF lens at f/8:

I found that the 135/3.5 is best from around f/5 to f/8 (stop down further than that and diffraction kicks in). Wide open, it's not super-tack-sharp on the E-M5 when you do 100% pixel peeping, but still IMO very good for normal viewing distances. Anyway, it very easily beats the zoom lens – especially at the image borders – but that was probably to be expected.

I have put up a few full-size examples for download here:

http://tomscameras.wordpress.com/2012/11/21/shooting-tele-macros-with-the-olympus-e-m5-and-carl-zeiss-jena-1353-5-sonnar/

Next week or so, I should also get a 135/2.8 Olympus OM. I'm interested in how this will compare to the CZJ Sonnar.

Thomas

Last edited by memento on Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:15 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, it's best to upload them using the Upload Picture tool Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I changed my post. Did not see the "upload picture" button in the first place Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is there in the background: a moose? Interesting lens serial.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The backdrop is from a big photo book, and yes that's a moose Wink

Serial number indicates its a 1977 lens, according to this link:
http://www.dresdner-kameras.de/objektive/objektive.html

It's in German only, however you can just scroll down to the list with the serial numbers. Also there's a link to an English PDF file with a big chart that shows almost all GDR lenses and their dates of manufacture.

The lens came with an original package, but I suspect it's the package of another 135/3.5 as it says "Objektive aus Jena" on it and not "Carl Zeiss Jena" as on the lens itself. So my guess is the package is from a lens that was originally sold in West Germany or elsewhere while the lens itself was originally sold in the GDR or Eastern countries.

Thomas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now also got an Olympus Zuiko 135/2.8 MC. Still waiting for the MFT adapter so I can properly use it. So far, I have just tried it pressed against the M42 adapter with my hand. The amazing outcome is – even with this handicap, the Zuiko 135/2.8 at f/2.8 beats rather clearly the Sonnar 135/3.5 at f/3.5. More sharpness, similar colour fringes, all this at a 2/3 stop more speed. Closed down they both are superb..... anyway, I'd never suspected that.....