Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Playing with my Steinheil (Fuji 400asa colour). . .
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject: Playing with my Steinheil (Fuji 400asa colour). . . Reply with quote

Finally got my Steinheil Culminar 135mm lens, so far I like what I see.

I took advantage of the winter light and went out into the garden, where I did a couple close ups of garden features.

This is an old stump we have set in a garden bed upside down - "sculptural" . . .

This one is of a section of a garden screen I made out of wild grapevines to hide the composter.

I thought the winter light, the texture and this lens made for interesting images.

Last edited by j.lukow on Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:06 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like a good lens - how is it wide open? I just won one on ebay and cant wait to try it.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting lens, and nice pictures!.
I look forward to see more samples...

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first image is showing the "personality" of the Steinheil! Creamy, yet sharp at the same time - beautiful, actually. I can IMAGINE this for a portrait or three! Wow! This "old timer" lens looks like it's a classic.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim

I was just reading about this lens - apparently the front section (the lenses) unscrews and is then usable on a bellows for macro work. I cant wait to try that out.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Jim
I was just reading about this lens - apparently the front section (the lenses) unscrews and is then usable on a bellows for macro work. I cant wait to try that out.
patrickh

Thanks. Was this info online? (Love to know more about it - so far its charming me!)
The thing with this lens is that its on a Minolta MF adapter - and like it much more than the Meyer I tried out with it. Was it classed as a true"manual lens" - there's no "linkage" to the appeture and its on the end. I'm wondering if the "roundness" of the iris (instead of a hex) helps.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim

Here:
http://captjack.exaktaphile.com/Steinheil%20page.htm

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
apparently the front section (the lenses) unscrews and is then usable on a bellows for macro work.

The lens head of the Culminar has more or less a normal Tessar layout, the rest of the lens body is just an adjustable extension tube.

Veijo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j.lukow wrote:
I'm wondering if the "roundness" of the iris (instead of a hex) helps.

The roundness mainly affects the highlight bokeh, otherwise probably very little. I'd guess that with more use the bokeh will turn out to be a decent Tessar bokeh with the normal occasional sour apples, i.e. bright edge highlights.

Veijo