Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CARL ZEISS JENA BIOTAR 58/2 (RED T)* ????????
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: CARL ZEISS JENA BIOTAR 58/2 (RED T)* ???????? Reply with quote

I have a question about the (Red T) marking; what does it represent?

CARL ZEISS JENA BIOTAR 58/2 (RED T)*

I know it has a significance, I just dont know what it is.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Famous coating by Carl Zeiss Jena.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Famous coating by Carl Zeiss Jena.

(Red T) is just a coating mark?

Thanks Attila

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Transparenz"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Red T is a coating mark only.Some lens perform better without T than with T Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't some "T" lenses equipped by more aperture blades?

Biotar 58/2 non-T: 10 blades
Biotar 58/2 T: 12 blades...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose T means only coating. Perhaps means premium level ?!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think so.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our engineers demand the unimaginable from the highly-effective Carl Zeiss T* anti-reflective coating, a “package”, individually calculated and adjusted for each air-glass interface, consisting of up to nine layers per lens element surface. For all intents and purposes T* coating reduces contrast-reducing reflections to negligeable levels, resulting in almost 100% light transmission. The T* coating process has an additional mechanical function – it must permanently withstand all weather conditions. We test the resistance of the coating using mechanical abrasion tests and salt-mist exposure. We simulate the stress of “sandy” wind in the desert or on the beach, as well as the salt air from the ocean. We place T* coated lenses in boiling water to ensure that the coating does not lift. The T* coating is not just a pretty face!

from CZ website...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you talk about that is T* coating started to make by Carl Zeiss Oberkochen. Genuine thread started by Carl Zeiss Jena T coating they are not same coating I believe at least Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio knows more of this than me but IIRC the 'T' mark on older Zeiss lenses is short for "Transparenz" which back then just meant that the lens was coated.

The 'T*' designation on modern Zeiss lenses is not quite the same as the old 'T' mark since the coating technology itself is much more modern and improved (done in collaboration with Pentax IIRC) as one would expect.

Hence T*

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. Smile

I have my eye on the Biotar and I was curious about the 'T'.