Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

carl zeiss 2.8/180 help...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: carl zeiss 2.8/180 help... Reply with quote

Well I just found my dads old pentacon six zebra cjz 2.8/180 and I would like to sell it, as I dont have any camera to use it with. Im playing around with it and i think there might be a problem with the iris blades.

They dont seem to close when im turning the aperture dial from 2.8 to 32. I have never handled a pentacon six lens before and was wondering if this is normal? Any help would be greatly appreciated as i am about as broke as can be and am being forced to seriously consider selling my helios 40.

There is a pin at the bottom and a metal lever on the side which gives resistance whenever the pin is pushed in. The lens is in beautiful condition otherwise.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not normal it is stuck wide open, quite common problem with old lenses if they are were in storage many years. Need to clean blades, labor cost around 20-40 EUR.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could sell it as-is, but take a huge hit on the valuation... or try to repair it yourself... which can be good, or bad (depending on how handy you are).

you could repair it successfully and increase its value.... or damage something and permanently destroy its value. i'd sell it with the caveat about the aperture, as (i think) most people would want to use it wide-open anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: carl zeiss 2.8/180 help... Reply with quote

conor12 wrote:
Well I just found my dads old pentacon six zebra cjz 2.8/180 and I would like to sell it, as I dont have any camera to use it with.

Are you sure? What camera do you have? This great old lens can be used with virtually any modern camera using a P6/EOS, P6/Nikon or P6/M42 adapter.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll fix it for 75 CAD.
You pay the shipping both ways.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's the thing... i've seen 'em sell for $180 to $250 (a quick check of completed auctions on ebay) so a $75 repair with shipping costs thrown in might not be too practical.

if you sell it as-is with the non-working aperture, maybe someone will pay $150 for it (i would Laughing -- if i could scrounge up some more money)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: carl zeiss 2.8/180 help... Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Are you sure? What camera do you have? This great old lens can be used with virtually any modern camera using a P6/EOS, P6/Nikon or P6/M42 adapter.

Does P6/M42 adaptor allow focusing to infinity?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the replys. I guess I never thought about P6 to m42 then to minolta af. Damn, I wish you hadnt suggested that. It looks like I might be going hungry for a while. Does anybody know any trustworthy repair places in Ireland?