Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica Hexanon AR 40/1.8 very first awesome impressions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Konica Hexanon AR 40/1.8 very first awesome impressions Reply with quote

Well today's morning I've got this little gem from local post office. It came in a with some signs of usage on the body and remarkable spots on focusing ring. Lenses are in a very good condition. A was amazed by the quality. It gives me 60mm on my NEX-5n and shines as a rock-star. It has excellent sharpness from wide open to stopped down and marvellous color rendering. Yes, I know I am a little late but happy Halloween to everybody.

All shots wide open. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while depth of field is very shallow, what is in focus looks very sharp. Nice lens.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konica Hexanons are well known from quality, oldest maker in Japan couldn't go wrong, I am Hexanon fan too, try more Smile They are very affordable these days. This is an excellent low profile lens and pretty common I suggest to have one to every mirror less camera owners.

Nice to see your happiness , look forward more nice images from you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Attila. I'll proceed with some shots later. BTW what are the easiest Hexanons to use on Canon cameras via an adapter if any?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arctures wrote:
Thanks, Attila. I'll proceed with some shots later. BTW what are the easiest Hexanons to use on Canon cameras via an adapter if any?

No adapter due register distance is not enough to make adapter with proper infinity.

You should buy a mirror less camera, second hand they are cheap SONY NEX, micro 4/3 or Samsung NX all works well with Hexanons.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

You should buy a mirror less camera, second hand they are cheap SONY NEX

Yep, I own one 5n. But dreaming of Hexanon 57/1.2 on my Canon 5D. 57-58mm 1.2 on a full frame sensor provides so deep and beautiful images so it's a pity it cannot be done with adapter. May be some remake is possible?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost 100% sure it will hit mirror even if properly converted. High value , rare lens , to butcher with conversion a crime in my opinion.
You can use Nikon successfully on EOS and they have no difference or not much. Pentax SMC 1.2 also an option, sharper a lot wide open than Konica. Nikon sharper too if I remember well with same DOF.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMC 1.2 is in my wishlist too. Didn't know it is sharper. Thanks for info!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arctures wrote:

Sharpest what I did try was SMC 1.2 , from Pentax, Tomioka, Nikon, Konica . I did not try Olympus and Minolta, Canon. Based on other people samples I think sharpest is SMC Takumar 1.2 , right after Tomioka , most smooth bokeh Nikon and Konica , Olympus and Minolta behind them in bokeh and sharpness, probably I wrong due I don't have personal experience with Olympus, Minolta and Canon.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Konica Hexanon 40mm is my absolute favorite lens at the moment and is my standard walk-around-lens on my Nex. A real gem packed in a very small package.

My results with this particulary 40mm made me buy some other Hexanons. I haven't tested them a lot yet, but especially the 100mm looks promissing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats. this is one of the best cost to quality lenses available. i see youre looking for the 57/1.2, but let me suggest the 57/1.4 as it is much cheaper, much more easily obtained, and is the sharpest konica ive used., and ive used a lot of them!
tony

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
congrats. this is one of the best cost to quality lenses available. i see youre looking for the 57/1.2, but let me suggest the 57/1.4 as it is much cheaper, much more easily obtained, and is the sharpest konica ive used., and ive used a lot of them!
tony

+1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Konica 1.4/57 is wonderful, I prefer it to the later 1.4/50. The 1.4/57 has more character, which probably means it is less highly corrected.

Another lens you should consider is the Topcon RE Auto Topcor 1.4/58, that one will fit an EOS without modification, adapters are available. It's a bit more expensive than the Konica 1.4/57 or 1.4/50 but I think still something of a bargain as it's a wonderful, special lens imho.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic lens, congratulations! It is one of my favorites, also. Really a joy to use.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found the Hexanon 40mm f1.8 an increasingly difficult and troubling lens. I bought my first for US$5. It is in great shape now that I have cleaned it up.

But that's about it. Today it's difficult to locate this lens for anywhere near US$5. It is too widely recognized and acknowledged as being of very high optical quality. This lens was once a "sleeper". I wish I had bought more when they were asleep. Sad

It's scant compensation, because it's so much larger and heavier, but I did recently acquire a Hexanon 35mm f2.0 for well below US$200. And the Hexanon 35mm f2.8 lenses are down in price a bit . . . perhaps because the 40mm lenses have become so popular.

Today I had a very nice Hexanon 28mm f3.5 show up in the mail. I like it a lot and I'm glad I bought it. However, it's slow.

But the truth is, none of the aforementioned Hexanons fills the spot occupied by the 40mm f1.8. The 40mm is a unique and very special lens. I'm on the lookout for them 24/7 . . . . without much success.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Arctures wrote:

Sharpest what I did try was SMC 1.2 , from Pentax, Tomioka, Nikon, Konica . I did not try Olympus and Minolta, Canon. Based on other people samples I think sharpest is SMC Takumar 1.2 , right after Tomioka , most smooth bokeh Nikon and Konica , Olympus and Minolta behind them in bokeh and sharpness, probably I wrong due I don't have personal experience with Olympus, Minolta and Canon.

The fastest 50mm smc takumar was a f1.4 not f1.2. Pentax only made 50mm f1.2 in pentax k mounts, not m42 smc takumars.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is right, not SMC Takumar, SMC Pentax , thanks!

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/smc_pentax_m/pentax-50_f1_2-smc_pk/?
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/smc_pentax_m/55mm_f1_2/
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/tomioka/tomioka_1_2_50mm/
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/konica/konica_57mm_f1_2/
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/nikon_nikkor/nikkor_50mm_f1_2_ai/
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/nikon_nikkor/nikon_nikkor_50mm_f1_2/

and king of fast lenses Wink
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/mfl_club_members/carlsson/planar_85/