Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokyo Kogaku 58/1.8 RE, Auto-Topcor
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Tokyo Kogaku 58/1.8 RE, Auto-Topcor Reply with quote

Took an interest recently in the much heralded Topcor lenses. Found some at reasonable cost, and now with my new NEX-5N I can use them and other lenses that have been sitting in waiting. I still have the f/1.4 version on my watch list. My initial assessment of this lens is that it is very sharp in the center at wide open, and sharp all over when stopped down. Center performance at wide open seems slightly better than my Rokkor-X 50/1.7, but it becomes harder to tell a difference stopped down. I do need to explore the bokeh more on this Topcor lens as initial indications seem very good. Many more shots to come as I get more time with the NEX.

As usual, I don't take good notes on aperture, but know that this first one was wide open. For the others, the day was too bright.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's brilliant, how much did you pay for it? Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good IQ and interesting bokeh - looks very interesting!
Rendering reminds me a little to the F1.4 rokkors.

If I haven't already had enough 50mm SLR lenses that might would be one of my next purchases Smile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got one for $12.50 - the rubber focus ring has a small burn mark, otherwise seems in perfect condition. Health is delaying excursions, but if it is anywhere near as good as this one seems and my Topcor 100/2.8 is, then I shall be well pleased

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
I just got one for $12.50 - the rubber focus ring has a small burn mark, otherwise seems in perfect condition. Health is delaying excursions, but if it is anywhere near as good as this one seems and my Topcor 100/2.8 is, then I shall be well pleased

patrickh

I have both. Wink The 100mm ver is miles ahead.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:
patrickh wrote:

patrickh

I have both. Wink The 100mm ver is miles ahead.

I have both also, but wouldn't consider the difference that great. In fact, I would find it difficult to say which was best within its respective focal length.

kyonthinh: Pricing can differ greatly as with any lens depending on condition. The price patrickh paid is insanely low. I got mine with another lens so can only estimate around $40, which was a good deal in my mind.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seller only showed a picture of the burn mark and played it up in the description. I took a chance that seems to have worked Embarassed

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very interesting! Love the soft defocus!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyonthinh wrote:
It's brilliant, how much did you pay for it? Shocked

Woodrim is brilliant Smile you can recognize his fingerprint with any lenses, lovely samples, especially second one with dog.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a 1.4 @ $194 with 12 hours left!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tokyo-Kogaku-RE-Auto-Topcor-1-1-4-58mm-No-11227819-GOOD-CONDITION-/181000517588?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a2478b7d4

What mount are Topcors in? M42?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re Topcors are Exakta mount, UV lenses are Topcon mount (i think that's what people call them).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I find strange is you can mount Topcors on Exakta cameras, but not vice versa.

Excellent work, Woodrim!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, actually, i have another deal, that's i can get 2 x 58mm 1.4 for cheap.
Should I buy 58 1.4 or 1.8, because people say 1.8 is sharper.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can mount Topcon lenses on the VX1000 and VX500. The knob on the release lever of the earlier cameras would get in the way when mounting Topcon lenses on the older models.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyonthinh wrote:

Buy both 1.4 and sell one to me Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Attila, for the very kind words. You encourgae me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
kyonthinh wrote:

Sound good, but it will take a while, because the seller live in my home country, and now i am half a world away. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have not had chance to use this lens much yet, hopefully these two wide open shots from today, on NEX5N, show a bit of it's qualities:

and one more stopped down ( I had shown already at landscape contest )

original sizes here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/sets/72157628579093559/with/8115997854/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyonthinh wrote:
woodrim wrote:
kyonthinh wrote:

Sound good, but it will take a while, because the seller live in my home country, and now i am half a world away. Laughing

I'll wait patiently.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
have not had chance to use this lens much yet, hopefully these two wide open shots from today, on NEX5N, show a bit of it's qualities:

and one more stopped down ( I had shown already at landscape contest )

original sizes here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/sets/72157628579093559/with/8115997854/

And what are your impressions from your limited use?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
And what are your impressions from your limited use?

what can I say? - very good! Smile
very good colors, good contrast,
plenty sharp when stopped down!
wide open sharpness is not top though: had done a wide open sharpness comparison near to center. Auto Takumar f2/55, Super Takumar f1.8/55, S-M-C Takumar f1.4/50 - yes, also the f1.4 - and Pen-F f1.5/60 looked a bit sharper, MC Rokkor-PC f1.4/50 and Nikkor-S f1.4/50 both about same, but that's at f1.4 comparing to f1.8 of the Topcor
bokeh smooth, in my wide open samples just that little lively, looking very lovely

imo good for landscape and on APS-C very nice for portrait

edit: I just decided to show the results of my test, see: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1269285.html#1269285

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
I'll wait patiently.

Do you know how much is a normal price for a Topcor 58 1.4 is? The bidding price, not insane buy it now price.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check ebay completed sales. They can go high if in very good condition and still high in user condition. More than I can pay.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

photos look good, especially the landscape shot. thanks for posting.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 58/1.4 will often hit close to $300.

patrickh