Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sears auto mc 300mm 1:5.6
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Sears auto mc 300mm 1:5.6 Reply with quote

I really like this lens. I use it on the canon 400d with an adaptor (its a canon fd lens). All of the shots below were manually focussed, they are slightly off as they were rushed shots and handheld, which isn't the easiest thing with this lens. They are as taken, no alterations in LR or Ps. Thoughts please.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put to cupboard this is not a good lens at all or if you still like it try to improve shoots much as you can , wonderful subjects , terrible lens Sad

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the colors, but I would really like to see a sample taken on a tripod or not rushed to see how it really performs.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I like the colors, but I would really like to see a sample taken on a tripod or not rushed to see how it really performs.
Agreed.
Also, what is the horse thrashing about with its mouth?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rather like the muted contrast for the subject, if it's from the lens or the glass adapter I don't know.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's quite an uncontrasty lens, and I really dislike the OOF regions (and I normally like distinctive bokeh)...

what I would like to praise you on is the framing and subjects. Focus is pretty good too.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the comments. I have a tripod but its a really crap light one, probably built in the fifties for small rangefinders, so when i can afford a good one i will make some test shots. As for going to the cupboard, it will be a while before i can bring myself to that, i am a sucker for trying to rescue misfits and orphans in the junk world, jackets with sleeves hanging off, records that skip on one track etc. That and the fact that i have no 300mm lens Wink Embarassed Shocked I appreciate the comments and hope to produce some good pictures from it yet, i just have to improve my skills, i am a firm believer in the sculpture being inside the block of stone
Very Happy

as to whats hanging out of its mouth, i think thats part of the bridle and it just looks like its in the mouth, consummate skill required to achieve that effect Wink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max, do what I do and use anything available like the fence to rest the lens on...(I have even used my husband to rest a lens on)...and maybe put a folded towel.jacket under it....just to absorb any vibrations.

I collect orphan accessories such as hoods and anything interesting in the photographic arena, so I understand where you are coming from.Your skills will improve the more you get out and about with your lenses....don't worry about "testing" just go out and shoot something interesting at a distance. Laughing Photography should be fun there are just some tricks that make it more fun.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
(I have even used my husband to rest a lens on)
Yo have a husband Mo? Crying or Very sad Wink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxcastle wrote:
as to whats hanging out of its mouth, i think thats part of the bridle and it just looks like its in the mouth, consummate skill required to achieve that effect

In #3 you can see it is a short piece of rope, hanging off the halter, not from his mouth.

I think a part of the problem with contrast and sharpness is caused bij the FD>EF adapter, as it is one with glass. Lots of these adapters affect the IQ of the lens seriously.
My MD to MinAF adapter is a horrible one too.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is that pattern in the background?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
maxcastle wrote:
as to whats hanging out of its mouth, i think thats part of the bridle and it just looks like its in the mouth, consummate skill required to achieve that effect

In #3 you can see it is a short piece of rope, hanging off the halter, not from his mouth.

I think a part of the problem with contrast and sharpness is caused bij the FD>EF adapter, as it is one with glass. Lots of these adapters affect the IQ of the lens seriously.
My MD to MinAF adapter is a horrible one too.
A very astute assesment ( just coincedental i agree with it ;0 ), i posted up some pics taken with a canon fd 50mm with the same adapter and the results were not great, so i do think the extra glass has a part to play. That, as i say, and my lack of ability i think are not bringing out the best in the lens. The patterns in the back i am not sure if its from the lens or adapter, odd shaped lines, perhaps built into the lens? its not fungus of any type, maybe somthing else. i am gonna take this lens out again, possibly even today.