Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What can you tell me about the Canon 17mm F4 FD?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: What can you tell me about the Canon 17mm F4 FD? Reply with quote

I am camera-less at the moment until my NEX 3 comes in and whilst going through the attic this evening I found this beauty. No, idea where it came from though. The glass in untouched and it looks like the filter has been on the entire time.

I was all giddy when I found it at the bottom of a box.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine isn't all that great, but it was opened before I received it(tool marks & distance scale was off).
Your copy may be better, unfortunately it is also rather large for Nex, the Tokina 17 is smaller I think, as is the Sigma 19.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What can you tell me about the Canon 17mm F4 FD? Reply with quote

LArifleMAN wrote:
I am camera-less at the moment until my NEX 3 comes in and whilst going through the attic this evening I found this beauty. No, idea where it came from though. The glass in untouched and it looks like the filter has been on the entire time.

I was all giddy when I found it at the bottom of a box.

read about it here:
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/17mm.htm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pros of the era didn't agree with the improvement over the 19 FL lens.Imporovement in the FL yes, 17 over 19.

But not respect the aperture wide open nor the IQ.

With the NEX I found that the wide lenses are not the best to put over it. At least in my taste.

I use as wide angvle a Nikon AIS 24/2,8, and it's good. Not marvelous but good.

More wide....hmm......

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find my Nex-7 can highlight some IQ issues some lenses that other cameras don't show, an example is my Nikkor N.C 24/2.8
It is great on my 1DIII, not so much on my 7.
OTOH, my Canon FD SSC 24/2.8 is brilliant on the 7.