Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

BATTLE OF THE 50/1.4 LENSES
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: BATTLE OF THE 50/1.4 LENSES Reply with quote

Hi i just wanted to do this for fun. Pictures are in 900x600 resolution, i dont know if this is fair because you know what they say (any small picture will always look nice) but i do really think that even at 900 of resolution you can still clearly see who won this one. But i will let you be the judge of it. Who you think took 1st Place ??? I focused on Sonic 1 so when you look at the picture pay very close atention to Sonic 1. All images were taken wide-open.

The top 3 contenders are:

CONTAX Carl Zeiss Planar 50/1.4

EBC Fuji Fujinon 50/1.4

Nippo Kogaku Nikkor-S AUTO 50/1.4

Last edited by Yahvel on Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Zeiss appears to have a bit more contrast.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oreste wrote:
The Zeiss appears to have a bit more contrast.

True

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Fuji looks the best as the shot is brighter...the other two look dull.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Zeiss is better focused on the dvd and the 2 others are under exposed but even considering only the bokeh, it is the best

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of the three is good enough. I should chose the cheapest of them, and be very happy.

Anyway, the fuji seems to be a bit (only a bit) warmish and less saturated

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Well the Fuji looks the best as the shot is brighter...the other two look dull.

Question

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of the three is good enough. I should chose the cheapest of them, and be very happy.

Absolutely !

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:

Absolutely !

I would choose the best...you only live once!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oreste wrote:
scsambrook wrote:

Absolutely !

Ahhhh... the best normal 1,4. Which is?

Summilux M oldest? Summiux R Oldest or newer? Contarexes Zeiss? Contax zeiss? CZJena? Mamiya? Rolleinar? Yashica? Rokkor MC (for me, sure)? Rokkor MD? Tomioka (if exists)? Etc.

Consumption machines! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonyrokkor wrote:
Oreste wrote:
scsambrook wrote:

Absolutely !

Ahhhh... the best normal 1,4. Which is?

Summilux M oldest? Summiux R Oldest or newer? Contarexes Zeiss? Contax zeiss? CZJena? Mamiya? Rolleinar? Yashica? Rokkor MC (for me, sure)? Rokkor MD? Tomioka (if exists)? Etc.

Consumption machines! Very Happy

Of these three, the Zeiss. That's what I thought we were discussing. Otherwise, probably the latest Leica Summilux, if I could find one.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Planar shot is taken from a slightly different angle, which messes with my brain in comparison tests like this. Sad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least Oreste is partially on topic here Smile
But let's not make it yet another Leica VS everybody else thread.

Anyway, of these 3 I would choose the Zeiss as well; all 3 are great, but the fuji seems to me a bit too bright and the nikkor a bit too dark; the Zeiss has its colours just right.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a Sega Genesis!! Shocked

Can I have a go? Embarassed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm voting for the Zeiss, but that's based purely on the look of the bokeh, as everything else is too close to call.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I'm voting for the Zeiss, but that's based purely on the look of the bokeh, as everything else is too close to call.

I don't know exactly what 'bokeh' is, but there is nothing ambiguous about the results. The Zeiss is clearly superior in all respects.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were these three lens contemporaries in design? I know a little about the Nikon but nada about the other two.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeiss for me ... bokeh + contrast