Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina RMC 400/5.6
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Tokina RMC 400/5.6 Reply with quote

got it today in mint condition Wink but it was too late to test it properly so I'll leave the testing for another day
here's just a comparison between the two siblings Smile

Last edited by NikonD on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Own this lens too. Was sold by the seller as Takumar with m42 mount but was in fact this lens. Didn't return it to the seller because value was too small. As far as I remember was not very impresed with the IQ. Would like to see some samples from your copy.

Below a sample with K-5 at ISO 6400 with f/5.6. I found the results (especially contrast) not the best and it is soft wide open.

Wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what can I say... here's a shot I've made 5min after picking the lens from postal office
Focus is clearly missed (front)... I'll give it a one more try tomorrow Wink
I've payed for my copy 45€ inc. shipping
Nikon D300s, ISO 1250, 1/500, f5.6

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had it, my opinion similar to rolf, not great IQ, a bit soft but with PP and shooting at short to medium range it was acceptable.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, it looks like a keeper for its 'softness' in portrait shooting. It really makes a nice
portrait image, at least to me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are some quick samples photos with this lens on Nikon D300s

1 f5.6 I think I've missed this one / front focus on the street light

2 f8

3 f5.6

4 f8

5 f5.6

6 f5.6

7 f8 - about 50% crop of the original image

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The colors and contrast certainly look as good as my old one. Cant tell on the sharpness for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
Own this lens too. Was sold by the seller as Takumar with m42 mount but was in fact this lens. Didn't return it to the seller because value was too small. As far as I remember was not very impresed with the IQ. Would like to see some samples from your copy.

Below a sample with K-5 at ISO 6400 with f/5.6. I found the results (especially contrast) not the best and it is soft wide open.

Wink

This one looks very soft for some reason, DOF issues?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOF is a problem with this lens, because there is only a half turn from 4 meters to infinity.

Better samples here

http://forum.mflenses.com/tokina-rmc-5-6-400mm-and-pentax-k-5-t53906.html

Wink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@F8 it looks imho actually pretty good. The moon shot is nice. Low light polution.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
DOF is a problem with this lens, because there is only a half turn from 4 meters to infinity.

Better samples here

Wink

Now Im confused. Depth of Field doesnt have anything to do with focusing throw does it?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:

Better samples here

Wink

thanks for the link. The samples on that page look nice and sharp.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
Rolf wrote:

Better samples here

Wink

Now Im confused. Depth of Field doesnt have anything to do with focusing throw does it?

Sorry that you are confused now.

What I mean is that DOF is very small together with small focusing throw. I you would have more focusing throw you had a better chance to find the focus. At a given focusing throw a larger DOF would be helpful if you didn't find the 100 % focus. But if both values are small you will have a great chance to get an unsharp image due to back or front focus.

Wink