Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Strange M39 and infinity focus issue...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Strange M39 and infinity focus issue... Reply with quote

Got 2 fine lenses a few days ago - a 1960 red 'n" Jupiter-9 lens, and on '0xx' Helios-44 lens, which I assume is also from that era.
Both are silver, both are SLR versions, and both are of the M39 mount.

Here is the ebay listing of the Jupiter-9, so you can see the version.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390455075272?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Now, I also own a very nice '00x' Tair-11 133 f/2.8 lens, which is also silver, has a red 'n', and is of the M39 mount.

To use those, I got my self an M39 -> canon EOS adapter (I have the canon 550D camera).

All 3 lenses mount just fine.

When I got the lenses, I checked them at home, and I was in a kind of hurry, so I shot a few pics, nothing serious.

The other day, I was shooting some portraits, and was stunned to discover that both lenses cannot focus beyond maybe 6 or 8 meters!
The ring shows 10 meters, 20 meters, 25 meters, and infinity, but the lens would not focus...

Read some stuff about this issue here and on other sites, and learned that sometimes the adapter is to blame, as it blocks the lens going the whole way to infinity...

So, I decided to "trick" it, and mounted the lenses on my camera using an M39 -> M42 adapter ring, and then using the M42 -> EOS adapter.

It worked on the Helios-44!
When mounted through the ring, it focuses perfectly from MFD to infinity.

The Jupiter-9 still does not, when mounted this way, for some reason.

The Tair-11, on the other hand, focuses from MFD to infinity just fine with the M39 -> EOS adapter I have.

Any thoughts on this issue? any solutions you know of?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like that jupiter 9 is adapted from some other mount

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looks like your m39-Eos adapter is a tad too long. 135mm are often calibrated to focus past infinity to allow for thermal expansion, so your Tair can work with this adapter.

M39 register is 45.2, compared to M42 register of 45.46. It appears that you J-9 is calibrated too precisely for infinity, consequently it sits 0.26 mm too far to reach infinity on m42 adapter. The solution is too disassemble J-9 and adjust infinity, which is done by taking out some shims. See guide here, it's for Kiev rf version, but m39 should be similar. http://www3.telus.net/public/rpnchbck/Jupiter-9%20dismantle.html

EDIT. After seeing Wolverine's post and looking at your auction, I agree with Wolverine. This looks like amateur adaptation, probably poorly adjusted for infinity. Probably the solution is to sand/file the mount plate, assuming the lens has register close to SLR M39 mount.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i must correct myself. it is m39 but rangefinder version, so it won't focus to infinity on dSLRs , only on mirrorless cams

look at the Attila's post in this thread
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=26305&start=15

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, how can it focus at all until ~20 meters if it's the RF version?
Also, seller wrote that it is the SLR version... it's a big seller, which I don't suspect of cheating.

Looked at attila's thread... how can I tell if it is the RF or SLR 1960 M39 version?

The things described in the guide are too complicated for me to do.

Is there any easier solution, or should I try and return the lens to the seller and get a refund?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misha_M wrote:

Looked at attila's thread... how can I tell if it is the RF or SLR 1960 M39 version?

slr m39 version is shorter than RF version

RF version is one on the left, and slr version is in the middle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
i must correct myself. it is m39 but rangefinder version, so it won't focus to infinity on dSLRs , only on mirrorless cams

Does it mean that the SLR version will? If you mount the lens using an M39 -> M42 adapter and then M42 -> camera mount with glass?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m39 SLR version should focus to infinity on dSLR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very obvious non-factory conversion of RF lens to SLR M39. if that was true LTM, it wouldn't focus to 20m on m42 adapter. Focusing 85mm lens to 20m means only 0.36mm extension. I would just grind off M39->EOS adapter a little.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your lens fucuses in the opposite direction and the mount looks very strange. I think this is either some Frankenstein lens or some unknown variant of Jupiter 9 poorly adapted to M39.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible that it was put together wrong after an inexperienced person tried to service it.
My first few reassembly attempts had small errors that put the helicoid in the wrong position and therefor at the wrong distance to the sensor/film plane.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooh! exciting!

Quote:
RF version is one on the left, and slr version is in the middle

I bought mine thinking that it was the RF version, I was wondering why it got so close to infinity on my canon... I may have to mess with some shims myself Smile

-Ben

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lena wrote:
WolverineX wrote:

Does it mean that the SLR version will? If you mount the lens using an M39 -> M42 adapter and then M42 -> camera mount with glass?

I think it should work; like I wrote in the original message, I also got a Helios-44 M39 version, which was also said to be for zenit SLR, and when I mounted it using M39 -> M42 ring -> M42 to canon EOS adapter, it worked just fine.

fermy wrote:
It's very obvious non-factory conversion of RF lens to SLR M39. if that was true LTM, it wouldn't focus to 20m on m42 adapter. Focusing 85mm lens to 20m means only 0.36mm extension. I would just grind off M39->EOS adapter a little.

It doesn't focus at 20 meters, or at 10 meters, or at any distance beyond ~6 meters (haven't measured it exactly with tape, but it could not focus correctly at a window of a neighboring house, which is a few meters away...) .

Update:
It really is the RF version!
Checked it in the most reliable way; mounted it on an old film zenit-E camera using the ring adapter, and it still doesn't focus beyond ~6 meters...

So, is there a way of servicing an RF lens to become an SLR lens, or should I try to return it and get a refund, or sell it?

P.S:
About M39 to EOS adapters in general, does anybody know an adapter brand that is thin enough to allow correct infinity focusing when mounting directly with it? or is it easy do fix the adapter, and can be done at home by a non professional?