Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica 80 1.4, Zeiss 85 1.4 or nikon 85 1.4 AI-S
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Leica 80 1.4, Zeiss 85 1.4 or nikon 85 1.4 AI-S Reply with quote

Hey!

Price/Performance wise, which of these would you guys recommend? Is the performance premium on the leica so good that I should consider it, or is the 85 1.4 AI-S more than good enough?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know these lenses "personally" (I know the new Zeiss 1.4/85 ZE, though), but from my experience with other lenses of the same brands, I think they do not differ too much performancewise, however, they differ a lot in their character.
The Leica has a cooler colour rendition, I guess, whereas the Zeiss is a 3D phenomenon and the Nikkor might render warmer colours (at least most of my Nikkors do).
Anyway, you will be very happy with each of these lenses!

Last edited by LucisPictor on Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered the new leica-r to nikon-f adapter from leitax, so I would love to test out a leica. I have had a few zeiss-es (CZJ mainly), and those were really punchy, contrasty and had a very nice 3d-effect.

I think I would like the bokeh/punch of the zeiss best, on the other hand, naturfotograf.com rates the 85 1.4 AI-S very high on fullframe nikon bodies (I got a d700)...

Hard choices Smile It is not like I can just test them out in a store either Razz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 AiS is very highly rated for portraiture at wide aperture, especially for smooth OOF backgrounds. Its often referred to as the 'cream machine' in discussions. The AF-D version is (unusually) slightly better optically.

The Zeiss ZF seems to have the typical features of higher central resolving power at the expense of busier, more intrusive backgrounds.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would took out ant from my monitor Laughing Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I would took out ant from my monitor Laughing Very Happy

I have cleaned my monitor so many times... Wink

OK, back to Leicas, Nikkors...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have much experience with Leica lenses I tested only two of them Leica-R 90mm f2.8 and Leica-R 4/100mm. I tested many Nikkors and many CZJ and some CZ lenses. Based on my experience my order is generally.

1) Carl Zeiss (Jena)
2) Nikkor
3) Leica

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried 90/2.0, 180/2.8, 100 Apo Macro, and 28/2.8 Latest version.
I find Leica lenses to have very smooth transition from in-fous to out-of-focus.

I'd love to have Leica 85/1.4 ... it's my dream portrait lens.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then again, Planar T* 85/1.4 is not bad at all.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best 85mm SLR lens YES.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, the second picture was shot through a window...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huhging wrote:
BTW, the second picture was shot through a window...

And this picture clearly shows the weakness of Zeiss glass philosphy... "lot of, means... lot CA wide open".. third shot also shows this...

I think, this is somewhat related to Planar design. My CZ Planar 50/1.7 shows same weakness, although I love that lens... best lens in my arsenal...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I'm a bit surprised there is rather very little 'press' in regards to the Nikkor 85 1.4 AIS on this forum..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FotoPete wrote:
Wow, I'm a bit surprised there is rather very little 'press' in regards to the Nikkor 85 1.4 AIS on this forum..

Not many people have it, I have also Zeiss Planar and didn't think to buy it except if bargain come and I can sell it after, bargain didn't come under 5 yrs Laughing it shows lens is rare and excellent.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question is - what's your budget and purpose?

If you're ok with 1000€ and the lens is for your hobby, go with the Summilux 80/1.4

If you're looking at 500€ and hobby, go with the c/y planar 85 1.4

If you're looking at 500€ and AF then go with the Nikkor 85/1.4 AF-D

Since you may have 1000€ if you were looking at the Leica, buy the Zeiss and Nikkor, see what you prefer and sell the other one

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hari wrote:
Question is - what's your budget and purpose?

If you're ok with 1000€ and the lens is for your hobby, go with the Summilux 80/1.4

If you're looking at 500€ and hobby, go with the c/y planar 85 1.4

If you're looking at 500€ and AF then go with the Nikkor 85/1.4 AF-D

Since you may have 1000€ if you were looking at the Leica, buy the Zeiss and Nikkor, see what you prefer and sell the other one

Wise advice, Nikon is rarer, sell quickly if you find Zeiss is better, with little discount Zeiss also sell fast due sought after lens.