Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Medium format : allright , I'm in !
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Medium format : allright , I'm in ! Reply with quote

Got a CBA crisis , but it's solved now.
At last , I'm in the medium format camp and waiting to experiment . I choose square 6x6 format over 645 . An Agfa Isolette II should arrive , and tomorow I'll get a Pentacon six TL + Biometar 80/2.8 MC + WLF (no prism) . I think I'll try one with BW and one with color .
Some suggestions abotaffordable 120 film and suppliers ?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats......if only a supermarket (or some where local near where I live) would dev 120 film, I wouldn't use 35mm so much.
Postage or fuel costs are too expensive for just one or two rolls to be developed.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap films are Fomapans, but for higher speed, you will need also other brands.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where you're located, but here the local camera shop sells pro-packs of Tmax 100 for just under $20. That's a pretty good deal considering the price of a single roll.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually i buy film from macodirect.de but you have very nice shop in Romania too: f46.ro .

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you , Stefan , for the link. They have some good prices .Better than F64 and ebay

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck teo. you will certainly notice a quality difference from 35mm, and 6x6 is a great portrait format, imo. you will love the biometar, the 120 is even better. i gave that rig up because it was just too bulky for me, but the IQ was great.

i just got a mamiya 6 folder, which with my zeiss ikon 6x9 folder and my xpan, need to satisfy my MF lust!

cant wait to see your results.
tony

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Tony ,thank you !
I kinda hate bulky cams (I don't use anymore my EOS XTi ) but I absolutely adore this P6 animal !!! Strange , isn't it?
For the first rolls I'll have to sen them at 500 km for developing , but I'll probably try to develop myself , eventually .After all I've developed BW 35 years ago Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you hate bulky cameras, how about a folder?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin , I allready got a beautiful Agfa isolette II .Yesterday I exposed the first frame . It's a weird feeling to press the shutter and no vibration , just an imperceptible click . Very funny camera . I am a little shy about focusing because it's a zone focusing model (no rangefinder ) but I'll solve this .I feel thet it's going to be one of my main walkaround cameras.For now I've loaded a 400 CN Kodak .

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I took a plunge with the huge Pentacon six for some test pictures . Took 6 frames ,wrote down the settings. Used a hama selenium lightmeter (like new) . Strange way of focusing with the loupe of the waist level viewfinder ( first focus throu the loupe with my glasses on , then flip up the loupe and compose without glasses - funny to get old eyes Laughing ) .The body I have came with the original focusing matte screen , no fresnel one ,so focusing is a bit more difficult . The prism doesn't help ,in fact it's less accurate than the loupe , in my opinion , for my eyesight ) .The left/right inversion is also unusual for me and I have to habituate. All in all I liked the experience ,and I am curious about the results. The 80/2.8 Biometar moved well .When I'll have some useable scans I'll post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:
Today I took a plunge with the huge Pentacon six for some test pictures . Took 6 frames ,wrote down the settings. Used a hama selenium lightmeter (like new) . Strange way of focusing with the loupe of the waist level viewfinder ( first focus throu the loupe with my glasses on , then flip up the loupe and compose without glasses - funny to get old eyes Laughing ) .The body I have came with the original focusing matte screen , no fresnel one ,so focusing is a bit more difficult . The prism doesn't help ,in fact it's less accurate than the loupe , in my opinion , for my eyesight ) .The left/right inversion is also unusual for me and I have to habituate. All in all I liked the experience ,and I am curious about the results. The 80/2.8 Biometar moved well .When I'll have some useable scans I'll post

Look forward them Theo, one of the best combo what I know, hopefully all come out nicelly.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Theo, I just shot my first roll in my Kiev 6C with Flektogon 4/50, I have the Biometar 2.8/80 too, not tried it yet, was too excited about the Flek not to shoot it first.

The difference in IQ to 35mm is astounding, on an old flatbed scanner like mine MF gives so much better results.

Kiev 6C, Flek 4/50, Ilford Pan 400, f8 1/250, Paterson FX-39 developer, 10mins at 20C.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn' s*%t !!! Mad Mad I screwed up nearly a roll of 120 with my Isolette II Laughing
1.Didn't know exactly how to know when the film begins , lost there 3 frames
2.Had the impression that the winding wheel will stop when the next frame is in position , not looking to the back red window ,lost here another 2 frames
3.set the time st the aperture cocked the shutter ,forgot the distance Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad lost another 2 , I think
4.The result is that I loaded a new roll and tomorrow I'll do it again
Did you experienced something like this , or am I out of service ???
Some tips about the signs on the back of the 120 films (that i am totally unhabityated with )? For example , there appear in the red window on the back a big arrow pointing toward the left .Is there the film beginning ?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:
Damn' s*%t !!! Mad Mad I screwed up nearly a roll of 120 with my Isolette II Laughing
1.Didn't know exactly how to know when the film begins , lost there 3 frames
2.Had the impression that the winding wheel will stop when the next frame is in position , not looking to the back red window ,lost here another 2 frames
3.set the time st the aperture cocked the shutter ,forgot the distance Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad lost another 2 , I think
4.The result is that I loaded a new roll and tomorrow I'll do it again
Did you experienced something like this , or am I out of service ???
Some tips about the signs on the back of the 120 films (that i am totally unhabityated with )? For example , there appear in the red window on the back a big arrow pointing toward the left .Is there the film beginning ?

A few steps are essential to me with a new camera.

1) read manual how to load , change speed properly etc
2) Measure actual shutter speeds in usable range from 1/60 to 1/500
3) Verify built in distance meter with a surely trustworthy one.
4) Use trostworthy lightmeter
5) Keep in mind and do always same practice left frame on last position , wind before shoot or knock shutter and wind after vary by cameras.
6) Cover red window Smile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasted two rolls when I first tried my Mamiya C3, ask Ian if he learned a few new swear words ? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I invented a few when I developed the film from my Mamiya and the frames were all overlapping.

The bits that weren't double exposed looked alright though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell yeah! Very Happy

I'm loving this medium format stuff, the detail - even out of old and not particularly 'legendary' cameras is stunning. I'll have to post up the Voightlander Perkeo shots, I was amazed by them.
I've bought some more stuff for the Mamiya today. I had the money for another DSLR, they were selling decent DSLR'S for sensible money, but I bought Mamiya TLR stuff instead! Cool

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've almost given up shooting digital, become so obsessed with film Smile

Perkeo shots I managed to scan came out very nice imho, well done:

For some reason when I try and upload one, it fails. Sad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: affordable film Reply with quote

kentmere is good, but I like to buy bulk lots of expired film on eBay