Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Speed Graphic 2x3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Speed Graphic 2x3 Reply with quote

Well, I've gone and done it, I've bought a Speed Graphic. I've been wanting to get into medium format for a while, I have a Mamiyaflex, sadly needs fixing, a Kiev 6C with Biometar 80 and Flek 50, a few old folders, but I've had a hankering for a focal plane press camera for years. I'm looking forward to hanging some old British lenses on this thing, such as my Ross Wide Angle Xpress f4 5inch (127mm) which would be a bit longer than the 'normal' lens (101mm Optar).

I have a question about backs, what sort of back does this camera have? I think it's a Graflok, am I right? I have a Mamiya rb67 70mm back I want to use with this as I have loads of 70mm film in the fridge. What do I need to mount that back on this camera? i'll also grab a suitable 120 back, probably another rb67 one.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely!
Its in wonderful shape, rare to find one so nice.

That's a spring back, not a graflok.
Though you can mount a roll back on it.
When I'm not using my +@$!? Blackerry I can tell you how.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Luis, much appreciated, I was hoping you would come along! Wink

I am in the process of clearing out all my accumulated photo junk and selling off all but my core kit of stuff i actually use and a few old things I really like.

For instance, why did I have 7 copies of the Helios 44 in various revisions?

Anyways, sold five of them this week and that paid for this Speed Graphic. That's a pretty good deal I reckon, 5 old Helios 44 for a Speed Graphic. Smile

I saw this one on ebay for 170USD BIN, it had only been listed 35mins of a 7 day listing, I hadn't been looking for one but when I saw the condition of this one I just had to grab it, it's a pretty rare item in the UK and the few that do appear for sale are usually pretty rough, MPP versions are much more than 170 bucks so I figured this one was a sensible investment. Should I decide to sell it, I;ve got a very nice Speed Graphic in England, that's a fairly rare and valuable thing to have I think so I should be able to recoup the cost if I do decide to sell it, but I have the feeling I will fall in love with it once I get to use it. I like RF cameras and this has a nice big one, I like unusual old lenses and this can mount all manner them, I like looking at a nice big ground glass, it's all good. Which remins me, I must get a focussing loupe, what magnification do you recommend?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, on a proper computer now, not the Blackberry

Some things to consider about Speed Graphics.

They are very flexible cameras, but some of this comes at a considerable cost in convenience.

You can use any lenses you can make fit on a lensboard, a huge range really, but if you want to use the rangefinder with them you have to manually adjust the rangefinder.. This involves multiple rounds of changing the rangefinder setting scales and validating the rangefinder image against the groundglass image until it all matches at all ranges. If all goes well this process can take 1-2 hours, if it doesn't go well, well, maybe it won't work at all. If you want to use the rangefinder, you can't just pop on a new lens.

The Kalart rangefinder can effectively be set within a narrow range of maybe 90mm- 160mm or so.

When you want to use the groundglass with a different, longer lens than the one you set the rangefinder for you will need to move the infinity stops, and if you want to go back to the lens you calibrated you will have to reset infinity, and if you are wise, try the rangefinder again vs the groundglass at all ranges just to make sure everything is still right.

The version you have can take a Graflex roll back, and probably (I haven't tried them) some of the Mamiya backs, and you can set it up to work with a given lens on the rangefinder. However, to do this you will have to (after setting the rangefinder using the groudglass) remove the groundglass - unscrew the screws on the big springs and remove the whole groundglass assembly. The roll back should just pop in in place of the groundglass back, and can be held on by whatever means work for you - wire clamps, sheet brass tabs (what I use), rubber bands, etc.

If you want a roll back that will just go in behind the groundglass like a sheet film holder you will have to hunt for a queer thing called a Tatro Adapt-a-Roll. These arent actually that rare, but the complication is that they were only made for 620 film. So you have respooling, etc. to consider.

After many years playing with the older Mini Speed Graphics I have come to think of them this way -

- They are configurable, but the configuration is semi-permanent. So a seriously insane owner will have several of them.

- Some are dedicated for use with rangefinders and roll film. These are meant for use with just one lens, are set for that, and stay that way. They are used handheld. They don't have the groundglass spring back.

- Some are meant for use with groundglass and no rangefinder. These can take any lens with no fuss, but are used only on tripods, with sheet film or with the Adapt-a-roll - though the 4x5's can take the much nicer Calumet roll holder too.

I have also completely removed the back of one and replaced it with my own, homemade wooden Graflok back, complete with brass slides, etc. I have had to make my own groundglass holder for this out of a pack film holder. This is necessary, if only to calibrate the rangefinder. This is more flexible, as it can take the regular roll holders while still retaining a groundglass back capability. Still have a problem with the infinity stops, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can live with just using three lenses with it - a wide, a normal and a longer one for portraits and such. Keep the rf setup for the normal and use the ground glass for focussing with the wide and long lenses.

The back thing sounds tricky, I definitely want to use 120 and 70mm rollfilm with this camera, sounds like I might have to get creative in order to do so however. Sad

Film Holders, not sure how many if any my camera comes with, what specific type do I need? Like backs, the film holder thing confuses me from what I've read on the internet.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought 100 sheets of 24x30cm Konica-Minolta X-ray film for 20ukp. That's enough for 1,200 6x9 sheets for the Speed graphic. 2p per shot it works out at. Smile

That's cheaper than 35mm by a fair margin!

This is gonna be fun!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!!!
Look forward your shoots, may I will follow you!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see I'm going to have another trip to the Lakes before long, I can see film being shot in industrial quantities from now on ! Laughing

That's a fine looking camera Ian, it looks in exceptional condition. Cool

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

David, we should definitely have a medium format day. I am selling my Mamiyaflex due to that frame spacing issue, but I now have a Flektogon 4/50 and a Zodiac 30mm to fit the Kiev 6C and the Speed Graphic of course, so we can have lots of fun.

Oh, and we can try some pieces of 9x14 sheet film in my Kodak 3A too!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we might be up there just before Christmas, I'll bring film ! Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good Smile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!

Those Speed Graphics are real beauties, aren't they?
Especially in such a great condition!.

Congratulations!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Carsten, I am sure I will enjoy using her very much.

I can pretend I'm weegee Smile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Close, but no cigar" Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice kit, Ian, looking forward to your first efforts!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some other vaguely pointless meanderings about Speed Graphics, Mini and otherwise -

- A most valuable feature that was available for the later Anniversary models (4x5 and 3x4, not the 2x3 Mini) was folding infinity stops.
This meant that the rangefinder could be set for one lens, but with the stops folded down, other lenses could be used with the groundglass without losing the rangefinder infinity setting. I have seen several homemade workarounds for this problem too.

- One of my goals in life is to make the electromechanical shutter system on these (you have one, the solenoid on your shutter) work with electronic flash. That system is what old Weegee is using in that photo. One fired the shutter by pressing a button on the flash grip, which trips the shutter via the solenoid, with the flashbulb set off either through a timer delay on the flash grip (Weegee has that) or having a separate flash cord from the flash bipost on the shutter. It should be easy enough, but I haven't made it work yet. I also want to put the electronic flash on the flash grip itself. Among other advantages, the autoexposure system on modern flashes (well, 1970's and later) make the whole business of flash photography really simple. In the old days it wasn't a bit simple.

- 2x3 2-sided wooden film holders are cheap and easy to find on US ebay. They should be fine for your film. You will have to slit your 70mm to fit though. This is what you are looking for -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-1-4-x-3-1-4-2x3-Cut-Sheet-Wooden-Film-Holder-/380226383453?pt=US_Film_Backs_Holders&hash=item5887422e5d

- Graflex also made Grafmatics for 2x3 - these are multi-sheet (6 usually) magazines with a set of thin metal film holders (septums) inside. You load the film in the septums, insert into the Grafmatic, and you change films by operating a push-pull ring on the side. This is a very fast and reliable system, but it depends on having the septums in good shape, not bent, etc.

Here is one - I think the 2x3 ones are way overpriced.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Graflex-Grafmatic-2x3-Film-Holder-With-6-Septums-23-/190679606194?pt=US_Film_Backs_Holders&hash=item2c6563e3b2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Luis, great info.

I'd love one of those original flashes and some bulbs, would be a hoot to take the speed graphic to some social events. There's everyone using their phones and little compacts and I pull out a speed graphic with huge panhead flash! Smile

Are these the right holders too? Slightly cheaper:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140850821127?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_3085wt_1397

I'm not sure if my speed graphic comes with any holders, buyer didn't state in ad.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it, but I cant tell for certain from the picture.
With luck you should be able to get these very cheap from people who haven't properly identified what they've got.
Look for film holders generically and see what you can spot.

There is a complication as there were "Graflex" versions meant for the old Graflex SLRs, that I believe had a slot cut in the holder unlike the Speed Grahic type that had a raised ridge. Another way to tell is the Graflex type had slots in the edge while the Speed Graphic ones have smooth sides.

Look for the ridge.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Luis, I'm praying I get at least one holder with the camera as the x-ray film is here ready and waiting! I bought a safelight too so I can cut the film up without total darkness. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty camera, looks to be in lovely condition but I hope you've been working out - it looks to be a fair weight.

I've 99% stopped buying stuff in from the US as the extra delivery charges - import duties, customs charges, admin, handling charges, "taking the proverbial" charges just spoil it. Now Japan - I say this quietly - seems to be a better hunting ground.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
I've 99% stopped buying stuff in from the US as the extra delivery charges - import duties, customs charges, admin, handling charges, "taking the proverbial" charges just spoil it. Now Japan - I say this quietly - seems to be a better hunting ground.
I've bought a few things from the US, and found it to be a bit random. Sometimes they charge 'like a rhino' Mad , sometimes they come in 'under the radar' like one that was posted without a customs declaration form Wink . Hmm, interesting what you say about Japan ...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm praying it gets through without a hefty customs charge, not really ordered anything from the US before, last time was years ago and I did get a customs charge.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do they hit you guys for in customs and etc.?

We don't pay anything here on foreign packages.