Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zenitar M2S on NEX-3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Zenitar M2S on NEX-3 Reply with quote

I really like this lens, it's small, light and compact, and has very nice smooth focus action. Alright, it's plastic, but who cares, it feels robust enough.

The rain stopped for a little while today so I managed a few shots, all wide open.

It's very sharp, I doubt any lens is sharper on the NEX-3, it has pleasant smooth bokeh with a little swirl on close distances, contrast is higher than a Helios-44, no doubt due to multi-coating and colours are nicely saturated. It also doesn't have any glow wide open, unlike many 50mm lenses.

I'll be using this one more often I think, a really good little lens. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The results look very nice, for a piece of plastic Wink

I was looking for one recently but I thought the prices were a bit high (I'm Scottish, of course I'm tight!).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice and sharp, Ian - nice grab. I'd like to see how this lens perfoms as a short tele for environmental portraits on the Nex. Do you konw off-hnad what Zenit these usually came attached to?

Paul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought mine with a Zenit 412 for 6ukp inc postage. It was the kit lens for that camera.

412 is a very nice camera, it's the same as the old Zenits but with a modern plastic case so very light and pretty ergonomic. Still only 1/500 top speed and annoyingly, it has no manual film speed setting, just DX coding, so I have to use a light meter with it as I shoot hand loaded bulk film.

The lightness and the wonderful split-screen for focussing are what makes it a very nice camera to use, i have several other M42 cameras but the 412 is the one I always use now due to the lightweight and nice focus screen.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff, your results are decent wide open. Mine was very good stopped down a bit, with good contrast, but soft wide open. I couldn't stand the handling so sold it pretty quickly! Certainly not the sharpest lens I've come across, but I was very impressed for the price (£20.00 or so new).

Has interesting bokeh:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll reserve judgment on exactly how sharp it is until I get to play with it properly.

However, the resolution figures are very high, 60-68 in centre, 40-48 on edges, depending on copy.

Considering the Industar 50 is 38/22 and my 1959 and 1966 copies are razor sharp on my NEX, the Zenitar should be as sharp as the NEX sensor can manage.

I like that glass shot.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one from my 5D with no pp other than slight exposure increase. Click for full size. Good pop @ f/4.

If only the handling wasn't so bad!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the handling, nicely raised aperture ring that's nice and clicky and positive and the focus is good, long travel of 180 degrees means it's pretty accurate.

What is it that you don't like?

There's the earlier 1.7/50 Zenitar that has the same barrel as the later Helios-44s, perhaps you'd like that one more?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just felt way to cheap and light. Focusing seemed imprecise, I just didn't like the feel at all. I tried the Zenitar 50/1.7 as well and sold it to Martin. Nice enough lens, but nothing special to me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand not liking the feel. Focussing is very precise on the Zenit 412 which as an excellent screen.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens of very high contrast. Very nice and very crap same time. Sharp, contrasty with awfull handling and not so long lasting body. If only we could repackage it to sturdy metal body. I have one. I will not sell it as I like what it's delivers. Results similar to those presented by Ian which I like very much. Nice test series (as always).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Pavko.

I agree with what you say, great lens, shame about the body.

If it was in the very nice heavy metal body like the Helios-44M4 It would be hard to fault.

Maybe I should get a Zenitar 1.7/50? That has the metal Helios body.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't honestly see much difference between the Zenitar 50/1.7 and Helios 44M-4, apart from the lens speed and focal length.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had zenitar 50/2, I sold it after I got 50/1,7 one.
Graham, the 1,7 one is smooter bokeh which very innteresting

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few shots I took today, first day for weeks where we had some actual sunshine. I really like this lens, bokeh is very pleasant, colours are great and it's quite a lot contrastier than a Helios 44.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beutiful shoots Ian! Congrats!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, sunshine makes all the difference, such a joy to finally have some bright light to work with. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy of M2s have a bit sticky focusing ring. But still nice cheap glass. Bought new with Zenit Camera for 20$.

post-processed shots. 5D II.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, she is beautiful and your photos are great too. She reminds me of young Mädchen Amick (Twin Peaks).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zenitar-M2s, Sony A100

Moskvich-403

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Wow, she is beautiful and your photos are great too. She reminds me of young Mädchen Amick (Twin Peaks).

Thanks! I passed your compliment to her)))

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nukemall wrote:
Zenitar-M2s, Sony A100

Moskvich-403

умели делать раньше машины..