Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I may have found a bargain
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: I may have found a bargain Reply with quote

We were in town to get some films processed and while we waited I suggested we call into the pawn shop. She gave me a funny look and I said "I mean the pawn-brokers!" There was a Carlton camera bag and I asked for a look. Inside was a Fuji STX-2, with Fujinon 1.9/50 lens, Sunpak Auto 130 Flash, Vivitar 1800 flash, a little leatherette pouch containing "Close-up Lenses 1,2 and 3 (Japan)", an 8 point star filter (Japan), and a Skylight filter (Japan), plus a very jazzy 2" carry strap. On inspection, the lens was in excellent condition, with snappy iris and very smooth focus, plus the camera looked similarly well cared for.

How much? £13.99!

I know nothing of the camera or lens, but a quick Google tells me it is yet another different bayonet mount (X-mount?), so I will probably give it a try out and maybe sell on (maybe not).

Are they any good?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Not familiar with the camera body, but Fujinon lenses have generally been good to damn excellent (EBC lenses).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Fujinon 55 2.2 and I get good results from it, it's nicely made for a light lens as well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look forward your experience! Congrats!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold one of these a little while back on ebay and took a test roll before hand, see here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/krislockyear/sets/72157626597680072/with/5663712357/. Sadly I think I got about £5 for it. Sad Still, I wasn't using it and it went to a keen Fuji user/collector so I guess it was better for it to go to a good home than sitting on my shelf gathering dust. I try to stick to Pentax gear with the occasional foray into Soviet stuff. I don't have the space or the cash to start buying multiple systems although I keep looking at that Werra 4 in the window of the local shop.

K.

PS. Here is a photo or two.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

womble wrote:
although I keep looking at that Werra 4 in the window of the local shop.

Go inside, take it in your hands! Feel how special it is. Have a look through the viewfinder.
Staring in a shopwindow isn't enough to proof your strength against GBA.
Is the Werra expensive?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
womble wrote:
although I keep looking at that Werra 4 in the window of the local shop.

Go inside, take it in your hands! Feel how special it is. Have a look through the viewfinder.
Staring in a shopwindow isn't enough to proof your strength against GBA.
Is the Werra expensive?

Not hugely, just under £60, but funds are a little tight at the moment so I am trying to resist.

K.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to the Lakes for a couple of days so will be giving it a good testing. Thanks folks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I too have the Fuji STX-2..It's quite basic but does the job.
I so want to say how great Fuji lenses are but my 50mm, 100mm, 135mm, 200mm, don't offer anything magical. Mind you I wasn't pleased on holiday the other week with a CZJ 135mm Sonnar as it turned out to be just another sharp lens and I didn't get the "pop" I was hoping for...h'mm last year I got more pop from a less sharp lens the Vivitar 135mm f2.8.... Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are back from some glorious sunny days in the Lake District (the doesn't happen very often), and run a film through the Fuji. I would have done another one but the button that releases the ratchet on the take-up wheel has stuck in and I haven't been able to load the second film. Crying or Very sad

I do like the handling of the camera, as the meter isn't coupled and only operates green and yellow LEDs in the display. If I take the bottom plate off and mange to fix it, it may be a keeper.

Did I mention it was sunny at the Lake District for three days in a row? Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's wet in Ambleside, we've just walked back from the pub in the rain ! Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
We are back from some glorious sunny days in the Lake District (the doesn't happen very often), and run a film through the Fuji. I would have done another one but the button that releases the ratchet on the take-up wheel has stuck in and I haven't been able to load the second film. Crying or Very sad

I do like the handling of the camera, as the meter isn't coupled and only operates green and yellow LEDs in the display. If I take the bottom plate off and mange to fix it, it may be a keeper.

Did I mention it was sunny at the Lake District for three days in a row? Laughing

Meh, that's a shame. I hope you can fix it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very good in Keswick as when we visited Oxfam they had a Zuiko 2.8/28mm in just about perfect condition for £45, and I walked away. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't tell me that, I've just got an OM 1 and I'm a few miles down the road, and we're going through Keswick tomorrow - I did say "through" didn't I ? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
You shouldn't tell me that, I've just got an OM 1 and I'm a few miles down the road, and we're going through Keswick tomorrow - I did say "through" didn't I ? Rolling Eyes

They have quite a few OM fit lenses with full and accurate descriptions of condition. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I resisted a visit today, but if there's a selection at the Keswick shop I might go tomorrow. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can remember, there are two Zuiko lenses, a 1.8/50 and a 2.8/28. The other OM fit lenses were a Vivitar wide to short tele zoom and a Sigma 100-200. I think there was at least one other but what it was escapes me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well............

I got the Zuiko 28 2.8, well spotted Skida. Wink it is unmarked, I can't even see a mark on the mount, and the guy found the case as well so I was happy with that. Then he showed me the case full of filters, and I got a nice set of five ND filters in Cokin P size for 99 pence each, and now I've discovered there was six. Very Happy
The other stuff was nice as well, there was some decent cameras and lenses on sale. But I was strong and resisted, and my wife was watching me.
The guys in the shop were telling me that yesterday someone brought in a perfect Leica M6, they think there's about six lenses and accessories, all boxed and in a Billingham bag and a cardboard box. They haven't priced it all yet, but they know that it's worth a lot. That's a hell of a gift to a charity !

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone in that shop knows a lot about cameras, lenses and relative values (too much for my liking). Glad you found some good stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps: Well done walking away from the Spotmatic. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
Someone in that shop knows a lot about cameras, lenses and relative values (too much for my liking). Glad you found some good stuff.

Yes, I was chatting to the guys there and Oxfam have now gone out and actively found people that volunteer their time tovalue and repair a lot of the articles they have on sale, and if there isn't anyone local to recruit the stuff is apparently moved around or valued by someone remotely. But they did say that they always set out to beat ebay prices, and although the Zuiko was £45, and I have seen them on ebay tonight for as little as £30 ( there are some 'buy it now' for over £100 ) I could see the exact condition of this lens by holding it in my hands. That's worth it to me. I buy a lot of lenses at charity shops, second hand shops, pawn shops and antique centers, but I have no ratty knocked about lenses. I've got some rubbish ones, but they at least look good !
Oxfam have done a smart move, they have the good stuff on a web site, the prices are, hopefully, better than ebay. And there's no crap of dodgy sellers or giving Paypal their extortionate cut. And we get to feed starving kids.
I think the other big charities will be watching Oxfam closely, and I expect they will follow their example. Go and get the bargains while you can ! Wink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
the button that releases the ratchet on the take-up wheel has stuck in and I haven't been able to load the second film. Crying or Very sad

Well I took the bottom plate off and had a look. I could see why the button was sticking in, but couldn't work out how to fix it. Yesterday I decided to look up the manual on Butkus. The button is supposed to stick in! It is so you don't have to keep holding it in while rewinding. To release, just wind on one. Embarassed

Tech support teams have a title for dumb users like me: RTFM!