Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Light TLR?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Light TLR? Reply with quote

Hi.

As some of you know I have a Lubitel 2 which I use a great deal and a Yashicamat 124G which I use occasionally. The Lubitel gets the call more often as it is light and small and I can stuff it in my bag with a couple of SLRs and my dSLR when I'm travelling without taking up too much space or weight. I do get annoyed, however, as it sometimes has a light problem. I haven't worked out yet if it is a light leak, or some sort of flare or reflection.

As a result I'm vaguely thinking of investing in another TLR. What I would ideally like is something small and light like the Lubitel, but with fewer problems and especially the ability to use a hood. I'd rather it was a 120 camera now that Efke is no longer in business (I did consider a baby Rollei). I'm not bothered about having a light meter as I always use my handheld meter for medium format images anyway.

The other alternative is to stop taking my SLRs and buy a Pentax 67... Shocked Not light, but my wife did note yesterday that I keep complaining about not having a shift lens on the TLR... Wink

Best wishes, Kris.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm seems something like Bronica 645 is too inconvenient..but there is something to be said that if you want to use a medium format film camera for occasional use, then don't mess around with small stuff and go 6X7 and the Pentax seems fairly small (well compared to a Mamiya RB67) and maybe Larry would give advice.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rolleiflex standard is pretty small camera, maybe on of the smallest TLRs and yet doesn´t lack user comfort. the downside is dark focusing screen, but you can simply change it for Mamiya RZ67 screen which is awesome

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, you want one without a meter built in, that saves the weight.

My usual suspects for going light - Minolta Autocord, Ricoh Diacord. Probably some of the simpler Roilleis and yashica mats. And quite probably any of the bayonet style lensed TLRs floating about.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ricohflex series is about as small as it gets for a 120 TLR, indeed if you drew a cube around a 35mm SLR with lens, the Ricohflex would fit inside of it. If you do go for the Ricohflex go for the Super Ricohflex, the earlier models have a joke of a shutter. Also if it has the optional "auto stop" feature that is a huge bonus.

To be perfectly serious though... there's no reason you shouldn't be using the Yashicamat. It's not really that much bigger, and it's worlds better than the Lubi in every other respect.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ciroflex/Graflex are very light as they are simply stamped sheet metal. Very cheap too.
They take press-on series filters/hoods, which are quite easy to find and not expensive.

Voigtlander Brilant are made of plastic and extremely light.
You will want one with geared focus, most are really just viewfinder cameras.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Graflex 22 is a better finished version of the Ciroflex. Even so I'd rather have a Yashica A. Also the Ciroflex is pretty normal sized for a TLR.

Having had a Ciroflex, Ricohflex, Lubitel 2, and a Yashica A and Yashicaflex, I'd say that the Yashica are hands down winners overall in use. The Ricohflex is almost toy like, but it can give really nice results, it's just clumsier to use than a Yashica. On the other hand it is also smaller and lighter. I was never impressed with my Lubitel. Mine had considerable focus fall off in the corners, which to me kind of negated part of the point of using medium format (making enlargements with less noticeable aberrations). I don't think they're all like that since I've seen some really nice images come out of them... but mine was mediocre at best.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
...I was never impressed with my Lubitel. Mine had considerable focus fall off in the corners, which to me kind of negated part of the point of using medium format (making enlargements with less noticeable aberrations). I don't think they're all like that since I've seen some really nice images come out of them... but mine was mediocre at best.

Mine seems really very sharp which is why I am happy using it rather than the Yashica.

Lubitel 2

Yashicamat 124G

Both on Fuji Pro 400H.

Like many things from the FSU, my impression is there is a great deal of sample variation. Get a good Soviet, and you're laughing, getting a bad one is not very funny.

Thanks for your advice all.

Best wishes, Kris.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both shows excellent IQ , I had several Yashicas all okay , but I miss some feeling. I found Rolleicord,Ricohflex, Zeiss Ikoflex, Rolleiflex give more joy than Yashicas. I sold Rolleiflexes they were expensive to keep them to me, Rolleicord , Ricohflex and Zeiss Ikoflex I have them now, Ricohflex has fantastic IQ , Rolleicord excellent and Ikoflex under discovering any of them recommended.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/filmcamera/japanese/ricohflex-provia-100/?
http://forum.mflenses.com/rolleicord-ii-schneider-xenar-model-5-provia-100-t44198,highlight,%2Brolleicord.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/rolleiflex-t-tessar-3-5-long-expired-kodakchrome-t52588,highlight,%2Brolleiflex.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/rolleiflex-2-8-f-t47965,highlight,%2Brolleiflex.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/rolleiflex-carl-zeiss-tessar-75mm-f3-5-t17846,highlight,%2Brolleiflex.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey - you've solved the 3-d without goggles problem with that Lubitel Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still carry my Yashica Mat124 around on hikes - even multi-day hikes. Of course there's a difference in weight compared
to others, but the Yashica Mat is so consistent that I can't bear to let it stay home. My solution: walk more slowly and take
that take that big pig of a pack off for a rest every few miles or so! Very Happy

I've not used a Pentax 6x7, although I've CERTAINLY had a predilection to purchase one before. Shocked For me at least,
the images from my Pentax 645 seems to scan nicely and it is a totally reliable camera, it just goes and goes and goes.

I have to admit that I took a 9 day off-trail hike up and down ridges last year, and carried the Yashica Mat, the Pentax 645,
and the Isolette III! But, I 'fooled' myself by just using one camera at a time while hiking, and keeping the others at the
bottom of the pack so I wouldn't 'see' them. Shocked Once at a camp, then I could take them all out and have a lot of fun.
It doesn't take too long to foget about the agony of a heavy pack when you are in a beautiful area.

Last edited by Laurence on Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
I still carry my Yashica Mat124 around on hikes - even multi-day hikes. Of course there's a difference in weight compared
to others, but the Yashica Mat is so consistent that I can't bear to let it stay home. My solution: walk more slowly and take
that take that big pig of a pack off for a rest every few miles or so! Very Happy

I've not used a Pentax 6x7, although I've CERTAINLY had a predilection to purchase one before. Shocked For me at least,
the images from my Pentax 645 seems to scan nicely and it is a totally reliable camera, it just goes and goes and goes.

+1 on P645 size is enough for quality scans and weight is lot less + you can use P6 lenses on it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Laurence wrote:

+1 on P645 size is enough for quality scans and weight is lot less + you can use P6 lenses on it.

Overall, as a compromise in negative size, and the weight in a ratio to the consistency, the Pentax 645 is probably the
best all-around camera I've ever had. Especially when hiking, where bomb-proof build quality is a huge benefit. And like
Attila said, the P6 lenses are wonderful. The Pentax-A lenses are also wonderful, but more costly. And when one thinks
about it, the differences between lens sharpness and quality is a SMALL thing compared to all the other elements of a decent
image, such as exposure, composition, color, etc.