Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lighroom Macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Lighroom Macro Reply with quote

I saw some of you have stunning macro pictures that are extremely sharp. I suck at lightroom and my images are appearing very crudy, some help please? I'm a beginner in lightroom so some tips would be nice.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/82939120@N07/

I posted before and after.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not super-skilled myself but hopefully this is helpful.

Post processing can improve a photo but we can only enhance sharpness that's already there.

The DOF is very thin in macro shots, it's a constant challenge. You've got to choose angles and compositions with thin DOF in mind. You've got the eyes of the closest shrimp in focus, but the angle of the shot guarantees that the rest of his body won't be in focus and the one behind him will not be in focus.

For little creature shots you might pick an angle from the side and get most of the subject in focus, or try to shoot head-on and get a "portrait" of the face.

You could stop down to improve DOF, but of course that slows shutter speed. To compensate for slow shutter speed you can use flash, or pick stationary subjects and use a tripod.

What focal length and aperture did you use for your shot?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an interesting technique called
focus stacking which I believe that
you will find useful. As usual, Google is
your friend...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikkor 55 f 2.8

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor Nguyen wrote:
nikkor 55 f 2.8

At f/2.8 your DOF is of course very skinny. Stopping down would get much more of the shrimp in focus, and make composition easier.

I notice your shot was at ISO 800, I think the T2i can shoot higher ISOs before losing much quality, that would allow you to stop down a couple of notches "for free".

Keep practicing, that's the great thing about digital. Macro shooting on film must have been very frustrating!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your try (crop):

My (more aggressive) try (crop):

As said it's mostly a problem of the thin DOF
Do you have Lightroom 4 or 3? If you have LR4 I could show you my settings.

Quote:
Macro shooting on film must have been very frustrating!

+1

Imho ISO800 is a good ISO for free-hand shooting as it lets you more reserves for PP than higher ISO. Best way is to use a diffuse flash and ISO100-to ISO400.

And of course we can add "sharpness", but it makes only sense if the resolution is already there. Sharpness is a subjective mixture of resolution(details), contrast and acutance - and we can add contast and acutance by PP but no resolution.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lightroom 4. I guess I'll try to stop down for next time.