Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Schacht Travegon VS. other retrofocus wide angles
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Schacht Travegon VS. other retrofocus wide angles Reply with quote

I recently picked up another Schacht Travegon, this time in automatic Exakta mount.

The Travegon is interesting to me because it was the first retrofocus wide angle lens with a small front element. As compared to the Primagon, Lithagon, Culmigon, et. al. which all used a very large front element for the equivalent speed - or even for a slower lens. What I want to know is, what other wide angle lenses used the Travegon formula? Because it seems unique amongst 1950s wide angle designs. Whereas the others added some elements in front of a tessar or triplet, the Travegon uses six elements in three groups... did any other companies use this formula in that era? Or even later? I'm quite curious to find out.

Here's an example of the typical approach to a 35mm for the era: Primagon, triplet with a very large fourth element out front.

Meyer Primagon 1:4,5/35 mm by alf sigaro, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angenieux preceded this Schacht (as the first ones came out before the introduction of the automatic lenses), and though it had a large front element, the 35mm was an f/2.5 with 6 elements. The Angeniuex formula does not look like a modified Tessar or triplet.

http://www.mwclassic.com/articles/agenieux/ageniuex.htm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 4.5/35 Primagon. One of my favourite lenses, very sharp, great colours, loads of 3d pop, wonderful character to the images it draws. Needs a hood due to that large single coated front element.

I have several other 35mm lenses but the Primagon is the one I always chose. I have one that is better, a Konishiroku Hexanon 2.8/35, a really stunningly good lens. no idea of formula but it has a large front element like the Primagon too.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Angenieux preceded this Schacht (as the first ones came out before the introduction of the automatic lenses), and though it had a large front element, the 35mm was an f/2.5 with 6 elements. The Angeniuex formula does not look like a modified Tessar or triplet.

http://www.mwclassic.com/articles/agenieux/ageniuex.htm

The Angenieux design seems to be based off of the Elmar type.

The Schacht resembles the Hektor type:

Although the second, third and fourth elements vary drastically in form, the Hektor does use six elements in three groups. I wonder if that was Schacht's starting point, or if it is just a coincidence. Either way it was a very unusual approach to creating a retrofocus lens.