Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Spring.... Auto Tamron 21/4.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Spring.... Auto Tamron 21/4.5 Reply with quote

I am still testing/well playing with this lens. Very Happy Here are a few images taken with the K200D...and I was trying out how best to use the wideness of this lens.

#1 I was seeing what I could fit into the frame...just mucking around in the car.

#5 The blossoms were just spectacular I just could not capture what I wanted to...and the wind would not stop!

#7 taken into the sun...to see what would happen

#8 I had to hold on to this blossom branch with my free hand... as the wind was causing problems.

#9 Long shadow play

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Spring.... Auto Tamron 21/4.5 Reply with quote

mo wrote:

The blossoms were just spectacular I just could not capture what I wanted to...

I have that problem a lot with blossoms too Sad Always looks far better in my mind than what I manage to capture.

However, I think you did a good job of it Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you,I guess the more images we take the more we learn with what works and what doesn't work. I have never tried deliberately shooting into the sun...it has creative possibilities! Very Happy

I just like the blue sky background with the color of the blossoms.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring.... Auto Tamron 21/4.5 Reply with quote

mo wrote:
#5 The blossoms were just spectacular I just could not capture what I wanted to...and the wind would not stop!

I can relate to that from last spring Rolling Eyes

You can try shooting early in the morning it tend to be less windy. And the days aren't too long yet Razz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens benefits significantly from a hood - you will need an 84mm "wide angle" type. These aren't taht common. "Flower" type hoods would work, as the front element doesn't rotate.

Alternately just shading the sun with your hand (to keep light from falling on the lens) can help.

A lot of outdoor shooting can be improved with a polarizer, which I have found very useful on this lens. You will need a big polarizer though, and the hood I have vignettes with the polarizer on, so I can't use both together, which is a problem.

As for flower photos, it is indeed difficult to get what we think we are seeing. I don't know if its because our brain perceives what we see differently when looking at the object and its two-dimensional picture, or if there is something about the dynamic range of our eyesight vs film or digital sensors. I see flowers as having a "glow", in effect being a light source, that is difficult to reproduce with photography.

In any case, I seem to get my best results with very strongly lit subjects against a dark background, and even more so if the flowers are backlit against darkness, a "Chinese lantern" effect.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Luis
Univer from this forum said to try the hyper focal technique, so here are a few more samples.Thanks for your suggestions as I really appreciate the help to get the best from an old lens. I find it is part of the charm of photography and old lenses.
http://forum.mflenses.com/auto-tamron-21mm-4-5-another-try-at-the-blossoms-t52744.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Trees... that bike path... That footy oval..

Are you in Bright, aka Country Victoria? (in case you thought i was making some kind of pun Razz)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No,that is actually Canberra.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough :p It looks like the main road heading out of bright Razz Blossoms be blooming everywhere I suppose Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never been to Bright...yep a Bloomin good year for Blossoms.. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4, 6, 8 and 3 are beautiful.
7 agains the sun is nice to see.