Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

my first LF lenses - tips needed
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: my first LF lenses - tips needed Reply with quote

at the local flea market today i came across an opportunity i just couldn't pass up.
3 large format lenses:
Rodenstock Apo-Ronar 240mm/9
Rodenstock Apo-Ronar 360mm/9
Rodenstock Apo-Ronar 480mm/9

price? 100kn a piece, 300kn for all 3 lenses. that's about 13,5€ (17$ or 11 GBPounds) per lens

Rodenstock Apo-Ronar 240mm/9

Rodenstock Apo-Ronar 360mm/9

Rodenstock Apo-Ronar 480mm/9

now the question: what length of bellows do i need so i can use these lenses on digital camera?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are not telephoto lenses so they will need the same distance from the sensor as their focal length, i.e. the 480mm will need to be 480mm from the sensor.

Great lenses, but need to be used on a film camera, I think your best choice is to sell them to a LF film user and buy something more suitable for digital with the profit.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
These are not telephoto lenses so they will need the same distance from the sensor as their focal length, i.e. the 480mm will need to be 480mm from the sensor.

Great lenses, but need to be used on a film camera, I think your best choice is to sell them to a LF film user and buy something more suitable for digital with the profit.

thanks for the info
i'll play around with them for awhile and then probably put them on ebay.
who knows, maybe i'll try LF photography Smile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a wonderful find!

To add a little to Ian's comment, these lenses really are apochromatic. In addition, they're quite sharp at all distances. The extensions Ian quoted should be from more-or-less the diaphragm, not from the back of the lens, and they're what's needed to focus at infinity. Focusing closer requires more extension.

Before you plunge into LF because you found some lenses that seem to be suitable for LF, find out whether your new treasures' cells can be fitted in standard shutters. Rodenstock sold Apo Ronars in shutter, but not all will go directly into shutter. The alternative is to use a Sinar and put the lenses in front of a Copal-Sinar shutter.

I've tried out 240 mm, 360 mm, and 480 mm process lenses (not Apo-Ronars, G-Clarons, Apo Saphir and Apo Nikkor) on a Nikon. I cobbled up something to hold them in front of a string of LTM extension tubes (E. Leitz New York, they used to be very inexpensive used) and a bellows. You ought to be able to do something like that to try 'em out on a digicam.

Good luck, have fun, congratulations again.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromm wrote:

I've tried out 240 mm, 360 mm, and 480 mm process lenses (not Apo-Ronars, G-Clarons, Apo Saphir and Apo Nikkor) on a Nikon. I cobbled up something to hold them in front of a string of LTM extension tubes (E. Leitz New York, they used to be very inexpensive used) and a bellows. You ought to be able to do something like that to try 'em out on a digicam.

i've managed to get a result from 240mm using P6 bellows and set of 4 P6 extension tubes. for other 2 i need more tubes.
i've tried to focus with the bellows inside my room and managed to focus it on monitor about 1,5 meter away from the lens and also managed to focus it on window hinges behind the monitor some half meter (about 2 meter from the lens), i'll have to take it outside and test it better

danfromm wrote:

Good luck, have fun, congratulations again.

thank you

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those lenses are probably old reprographic lens, not lenses for ordinary photography. the results might be kind of flat though sharp. they are not LF lenses really.

thats why they have no shutters. thats why you found them at a flea market cheap. fun to play with but for lf photography best results use normal lenses.

Last edited by Oreste on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:27 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 540mm Wollensak APO-Raptar that is also a repro lens, it works very well on digital, I have it mounted in a very long tube with bellows on the back, contrast is lacking (it's 1950s, maybe not coated) but it's extremely sharp.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oreste wrote:
those lenses are probably old reprographic lens, not lenses for ordinary photography. the results might be kind of flat though sharp. they are not LF lenses really.

thats why they have no shutters. thats why you found them at a flea market cheap. fun to play with but for lf photography best results use normal lenses.

Oreste, Rodenstock sold Apo Ronars in shutter. Old Rodenstock propaganda made the point that they perform better -- sharper, better coverage, less distortion, and better contrast -- at infinity than true telephoto lenses for large format. Apo Ronars, Apo Nikkors, Apo Artars, and Repro Clarons are all used as general purpose taking lenses by large format photographers.

I don't know what you mean by normal lenses, but Apo Ronars satisfy one definition. At infinity their back focus is approximately their focal length.

Not all process lenses are suitable for general use. Those that are, are very good.

Whether using a process lens as a large format taking lens makes economic sense is an open question. If the lens' cells will go in a standard shutter, as G-Clarons' cells do, then a process lens in barrel can, doesn't have to, be a good deal if the price is low enough. Shutters aren't cheap. If the lens has to be front mounted, an ordinary taking lens of the same focal length can be the better deal. It all depends on prices. Hanging a process lens in front of a small format camera can make good economic sense. It depends on the price." target="_blank">Click here to see on Ebay