Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A few shots with the Tamron 500mm mirror 55b
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: A few shots with the Tamron 500mm mirror 55b Reply with quote

I like this lens a lot, it's possibly the best mirror lens I have ever used so far, it can be really tough to focus and heat haze is a problem (but can also look good in some cases) as well as getting a good shutter speed but overall it's very decent, now and then a shot even looks *kind of* sharp at 100% but all of them look sharp at web size or even printed at A4.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shoot and great colors too.
Tamron 55B is an excellent mirror lens. I think only Vivitar 6020/8 catsolid is better but it's most expensive and much more heavy too Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing You are preaching to the converted when talking about this lens. Lovely,lovely images!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good examples which show what this lens is capable of. I've been thinking of getting a 500mm mirror but a good one like this isn't cheap.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful colours and unlike most people I absolutely love the bokeh of mirror lenses. I've always wanted one but could never justify the expense... Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid about £70 for mine, I think they are a bargain compared to the 350mm which can reach £500!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots endeed.
This mirror lens and all longer tele lenses you really need to know how to handle it or results are not so nice.
I also have this mirror lens (paid around 60€ for it) and won't sell it as it's compact / light telephoto lens to carry which can produce decent images if there is enough light.

That Canon FD 800 5.6L I have is a bit another story to carry around. Have to think few times will I carry that monster with me.
Maybe I go some day to Africa and bring it with me and hire a guy to carry it for me Smile
I have seen heat haze problems with this lens also. Looking at the live view and there is like a fog coming once in a while between you and the target. If you shoot while there's the haze the shot will be ruined (if you want sharp result) Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatdeeman wrote:
I paid about £70 for mine, I think they are a bargain compared to the 350mm which can reach £500!!!

I wish I could find one for a similar price Smile not managed it yet Sad

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep looking on eBay! I saw one go for 50 back in august! Like all manual lenses though the prices are creeping up!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tanheis wrote:

I have seen heat haze problems with this lens also. Looking at the live view and there is like a fog coming once in a while between you and the target. If you shoot while there's the haze the shot will be ruined (if you want sharp result) Smile

It can be a real pain! But if the subject is sharp and the just
background behind has haze it can look really good!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great series ! I love especially last one, good lens indeed. I know only one on same price level which is better, MTO 500mm f6.3 , but a giant vs Tamron.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just love this series! The colours are just perfect Smile REALLY like the 1st and 4th train shots, but they're all fantastic.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just gone on my list of "lenses I need". It's a list my wife knows exists but can't find. Laughing

Those are great images of the trains, the light and the composition is excellent, but only made possible because you understood what the lens would give you. I like them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up for roughly $60au the 55BB model, it had the tiniest spot of fungus on the front element no one but me put in a bid....it is now in the US and the fungus cleaned up nicely.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First and last one for me.
Golden hour. Patience pays off.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
fatdeeman wrote:

Click here to see on Ebay

This "might" come "ok" price if others are not too hungry for it Smile
He calls himself a professional photographer but image of the lens is well.... Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
First and last one for me.
Golden hour. Patience pays off.

Always my favourite time to shoot!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos, I especially like the 1st, I'd say that mirror type bokeh works really special in the photo, it would have the same appeal with a normal lens.

I also obtained this lens recently, but couldn't find any bargains...so I payed more (accually I wasn't patient to wait for a bargain). But I got a really nice one in a very good cosmetic condition with original bag, filters and caps.

I agree that it is hard to nail the focus with this lens, but once you do it suprisingly sharp!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tanheis wrote:
SonicScot wrote:
fatdeeman wrote:

Click here to see on Ebay

This "might" come "ok" price if others are not too hungry for it Smile
He calls himself a professional photographer but image of the lens is well.... Very Happy

It went for £72 +£10 pp
not a great deal of money but the seller didn't answer a question from me so I didn't bother with it. Smile