Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Compact camera vs SLR
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Compact camera vs SLR Reply with quote

Same subject, different shoots, one with a compact camera I bought for 99p, the other with a 1.4/50 from a top maker on an SLR.

Can you guess which is which?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The left photo is from the compact camera. sharp due to small aperture.
The right photo is from the expensive 50/1.4, due to misfocus and washed high light out by large aperture.

Am I right? Question

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to tell at this image size but I think the shot on the left is the DSLR with 50mm, simply because there is a lot more detail in the shadow areas.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edgar is right. Different films used, which skews it a bit, left is Ilford FP4 in Paterson FX-39, right is Kodak Vision2 100T in Fomadon LQN.

the lens was a Konica Hexanon 1.4/50 and it was wide open, it's a very sharp lens.

Compact was a Konica A4 with 3.5/35, doesn't look out of focus to me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candles doesn't appear on the compact so I guess the slr have more resolution Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
candles doesn't appear on the compact so I guess the slr have more resolution Very Happy

Well spotted!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I threw an old cheap and nasty Truprint film, way out of date, in the compact Samsung Vega 140s the other day, got it developed for 99p at Tescos and was astonished with the results. The Vega is autofocus with a Schneider lens, but I didn't expect the results I got. I'll post them up shortly.
Some of the compacts are well worth getting, this Vega is just right to keep in the car.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working my way through a load of compacts, so far, the Konica A4 is by far the best. Ricoh FF-9 has good optics too but lacks the AF focus lock so it's harder to ensure things are in focus with it compared to the A4. Pentax Espio 105SW and Olympus Trip AF50 were optically garbage, Konica MG was good but not as sharp as the A4 and FF-9, shot a roll in a Ricoh RZ-3000 today, need to develop it later.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just downloaded the manual for this Samsung Vega, and it's 52 pages ! for a compact camera. It's a bloody clever camera, once I've figured it out. But it's got focus lock, bracketing and all kinds of good stuff. Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
candles doesn't appear on the compact so I guess the slr have more resolution

not only do the candles disappear on the compact shot but the SLR has changed the floral displays as well, a remarkable lens.... So , ah'm thinking diferent time of day with different/changed external light source or even different days for each shot? Wink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different days, the compact shot was sunnier.