Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Decisions, Decisions (28mm options)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Decisions, Decisions (28mm options) Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm Nick from Italy, and I'm a MF lens user.

I'm a proud owner of the Vivitar (Tokina made) 28mm Series 1 f1.9, found it for a bargain price already converted to eos from Minolta SR, but had to redo the conversion so now focus stops right at infinity.

However, as much as I love this lens, the bokeh is unique, and often too much so. I sometimes use it for work, and I'd really like a creamier, smoother bokeh, which this lens has (kindof) at about f4, too slow to be useful to me (I often shoot after the sunset).

The alternatives found on my local 'craigslist' are another Vivitar 28mm f2.8 close focus in C/Y for about 40 euros (100 eur for leitax conversion to keep in mind), and a 28mm f2.8 Canon AF, which would have shitty build quality but may be useful with af, if the optical quality is good, since I mainly do action photography and motorsports (28mm being the paddock/reportage lens).
How about the zeiss equivalent? it usually goes for 200 euros but no one for sale now. Is it worth it?

So what would you do?

Thanks Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If bokeh is a prime concern, then use a longer lens, a 28mm is not going to give you the same quality of creamy bokeh as a 50mm lens.

All the best 28mm lenses I have won't fit an EOS so I can't recommend any of them to you.

However, the Minolta Rokkor-SG 3.5/28 is a superb lens and if you can convert it to EOS is worth having.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply.
Yes, 50mm has creamier bokeh but I need all the mm I can on the wide side, being still on a crop camera (40D).

I should upgrade to a 5d but I'm a student at the university so can't, at least for now. Thant's the reason I look for bargains and DIY works on lenses instead of buying the latest 24mm f1.4 or 35mm Very Happy and this made me open my mind on the infinite possibilities and great lenses out there that people think are cr*p. But that's another story..

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Soligor 28 f2, a bit shorter I know, but it's a great lens. Mine is Minolta MD mount, but I guess they can be found in others. Then there's the Elsinor 24 f2.8, also known as 'Clubman' and 'Tefnon'and maybe other names as well, which is excellent.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also an OM 28/2 that could do what you want, but for the price, I'd head towards a 5D first, then look for a good 35mm lens which are easier to find.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can look for good lens in 28 mm, like the mamiya sx 2,8/28. It should be underrated, but it's a good one.

The rolleinar 2,8/28 is the same lens, so another good. The old mamiya (not sx yet) is good too. The yashica Y/C can be very good, I guess.

If you look for carefuly, will find a good 28 mm lens. Sure.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware the later Mamiyas in either the NC1000 bayonet or E/Ef for the Z-series, those can't be adapted without major surgery to the lens.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Tokina 28mm f2.8 Reply with quote

One of my favourite wide lenses is a Tokina 28mm f2.8 i find bokeh is pretty smooth/even unlike some that are very fussy background

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the mamiya sekor (sx)
It's a really good lens: only problem is that it requires some grinding of the adapter (or of the lens).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll take a look at your suggestions, in the meantime here are some pics to talk about bokeh, all from the Vivitar, and all closed at f2.8

you can still see a bit of it's peculiar 'explosive' bokeh on the sides

so what do you think? remember it's on crop Evil or Very Mad