Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Normal crop sensor lens suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Normal crop sensor lens suggestions Reply with quote

I'm looking for a normal lens for my canon 350d. I've got a couple of adapters for m42 and OM. I've been looking at lenses like the zuiko 28mm f2.8 and the takumar 35mm f3.5 and I can't work out which will be better. I like shallow DOF so wide open performance is reasonably important to me. I probably want to spend less than £100 which puts the zeiss jena 35mm f2.4 flek out of my budget any suggestions?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd think you first should decide if you prefer a 28mm or a 35mm
I like my f3.5/35 Takumar very much, the f3.5/28 Oly is considered to be superior to the f2.8.
the f2.8/28 Takumar is quite decent too, but I can't say for certain if it outperforms the f2.8/28 OM.
I believe, I hope someone else can confirm, that the OM f2.8/35mm is considered to be one of the best Zuikos.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
I'd think you first should decide if you prefer a 28mm or a 35mm.

Wise words, I have the 550D with the same crop factor. I almost always walk around with a 35mm attached to it, but I have a real hard time using a 28mm, it just feels really weird to me. Could be the 28's I own, could be that I am so ingrained with the crop 35 mindset that it's too close that it becomes an issue, since I have no problem framing at 19mm. Whatever it is, it's just my opinion, but there is more of a difference than you think there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deciding first if a 28 or a 35 is preferred has also the positive effect of narrowing down possible choices.

On the other hand, it's true that both are ok as normal lenses on apsc: I used to be disappointed by 28 at first. Then I got one that I liked very much (auto mamiya sekor sx 28 2.8 in m42), and it stayed on my camera for a year or so. In the very last period I'm switching back to 35s

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can sometimes pick up a 35mm f/2.4 Flektogon for under your budget - you just have to be patient.
There's a faulty one on that auction site at the mo - there's also someone on there who will service it for a reasonable fee, so it might come in under budget.
It might also be worth checking out the Pentacon 29mm or 30mm, not sharp wide open (but what is) but you could get both and have money to spare.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

70 EUR will bag you a lens like this

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Fur-EXAKTA-aus-JENA-FLEKTOGON-2-8-35-Naheinstellung-b-0-18m-SEHR-GUTER-ZUSTAND-/280945496767?pt=DE_Foto_Camcorder_Objektive&hash=item4169a812bf

Exacta mount lenses go cheaper than M42 - no Pentax demand

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm leaning toward the 28mm length but am slightly concerned that they are more distortiony and slightly less sharp than 35mm lenses. Is this the case? If it isn't then I'll almost certainly go for a 28mm.

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reason for a 28mm lens to be less sharp than a 35mm, many 28mm lenses are razor sharp.

On an APS-C camera you'll see almost no distortion so don't worry about that either.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one lens I liked the best on my 350D was an old Nikkor-O 2/35.
I have sold it after I sold the 350D, though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
I'd think you first should decide if you prefer a 28mm or a 35mm

Or, you try this one:

Soligor C/D Dual Focus 3.5/28 - 3.8/35 (PK-mount)

Not bigger than any 35mm lens and it offers 28mm as well, in prime quality!

Coincidentally, I am selling one: http://forum.mflenses.com/great-lens-sale-t52254.html Wink

And I could even put in a PK-EOS-Adapter for another, say, €10,-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try some Nikkor lenses. Some are very good, and not so expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

under 100kp,
35mm > .
Canon FD 35/2 SSC. sharp from closest to infinity, even wideopen
28mm>
Schneider Kreuznach Curtagon 28/4..more/less same reason with canon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faster lens is probably better...

LucisPictor wrote:
The one lens I liked the best on my 350D was an old Nikkor-O 2/35.
I have sold it after I sold the 350D, though.

+1

I liked Sigma 30/1.4 best, but that lens cost hundreds.

Second choice was Takumar 35/2 (about US$150).

The Nikkor-O 35/2 is nearly as good as the Takumar imho...

The Soligor 28/2.8 are pretty good! Not so expensive; well within budget.

IAZA wrote:

I don't think that lens will focus to infinity on EOS body.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

IAZA wrote:

click on the words Canon above, there's a link in there, showing it samples on Canon eos 1000D. The lens was converted to EF mount Wink
1 infinity sample from my blog above

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been very happy with my Zeiss 35mm f2.8 (Zebra) which I purchased for $50. Excellent lens for the money.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
I believe, I hope someone else can confirm, that the OM f2.8/35mm is considered to be one of the best Zuikos.

The one I had was razor sharp, but colors were red shifted at the edges. I replaced it with a Vivitar 28/2.8, which has become the standard walk around lens on my Canon 500d.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

IAZA wrote:

click on the words Canon above, there's a link in there, showing it samples on Canon eos 1000D. The lens was converted to EF mount Wink
1 infinity sample from my blog above

The problem with this is that most users will need to pay someone to modify the lens. Plus, the Canon 35/2 is getting very expensive Sad

How about a Nikon mount Mir-24H? Cheap, fast and fairly sharp.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had mir 35/2 along with Canon 35/2. Mir has better color while canon win in sharpness in infinity. The price both about same here