Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Your opinions on vintage RF gents . . .
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:01 am    Post subject: Your opinions on vintage RF gents . . . Reply with quote

I don't know why but I've been cruising eBay looking at some of the RF's available - especially the vintage ones.

I'm interested in the vintage ones for a couple of reasons . . .
- They have interchangeable lenses even if I don't get one it leaves the option open
- I find them more aesthetically pleasing than the ones with non-interchangeable lenses (plus they remind me of those garbage "instamatics"/point and shoots of the 70's to 90's with images of the snap happy obnoxious tourist using one Laughing )
- I think it would be cool to have one of these camera's with there art nouveau aesthetics displayed on a shelf when not in use.
-In the back of my mind I seem to remember a brown "everready" case, in the hands of a family friend - though I can't remember who.

In my cruises I've seen many different ones - but one that caught my eye was a Braun Paxette (w/Steinheil lens . . . I know Rolling Eyes ), the other in large quantity was Argus Confused All I remember them for was the previously mentioned garbage point and shoots . . .so are the old ones any good (and does this apply to kodak - I guess when they made real cameras Rolling Eyes )
Anything else I should consider - how are old cameras with new films, and what of flashes . . . etc etc
I'm asking opinions now cause I don't really want it to be spur of the moment as these are less charted waters for me?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not shy in this subject. For me the main thing to remember about rangefinders is that lens changing is not the main gig. Rangefinders are not great for long lens work. Pick a couple cameras with good normal lenses. Then find the one you think is most atttractive for you. My favorites are of course Yashicas. If you want full manual go for a Lynx with a 45 f1.8 lens. If aperture proiority is good for you choose an electro GSN. I have all the Yashica RF's. The two I use most are the GSN and the CC. The GSN has a 45mm 1.7 the CC a 35mm 1.7. Both give very accurate exposure and are fun to use. Other fixed lens cameras that are easy to use and give great results that I use are
: The Canon QLIII
very compact shutter priority auto or full manual (no meter in manual) fast 40mmlens that is quite sharp

The Konica auto S2 or Auto S1.6
Meters in manual as well as auto Very sharp lens and nice weight and feel (a bit heavy for some folks)

If you want to change lenses find an old Leica CL. It has brightlines for a 40mm or 50mm lens. Voightlander has a fantastic 40mm f1.4 Nokton that is very economical and compact. Voigtlander also has many reasonably priced wide and SW lenses with viewfinders in Leica M-mount (and m39)

Remember that 35mm rangefinders are best suited for street shooting and wide angle use. If you want to shoot portraits, a Mid format TLR is a better option for a classic cam. Although of course this is my experience. Others may feel otherwise. Buy some cheap fixed lens cams and see if they fit you. If no, you can always resell them Cool

Andy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add a couple others. The contax II and III are also fine cameras. Both can be had for a reasonable price. Our collecion has a contax IIIa in it (no longer a II). The only lens I have is the sonnar 50 1.5 . Although I have some great photos with this camera. The shots I get from the fixed lens yashicas seem to always excel. I think the leaf shutter arrangement in fixed lens cams is superior to focal plane shutters from the past. This once again is my experience, others may have different views . [/url]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the russian ones (FEDs, Zorkis), Leica clones that are fun to use and quite cheap.
I agree with Andy, if you want picture quality and easy to use, the Yashicas are a must. Very sharp lenses, comfortable to use and quite easy to fix by oneself, there is a lot of documentation about them on the net.
I also like the small rangefinders, like the Konica C35, or the Olympus 35RC that are compact, easy to use and give a surprising image quality. Canonets are also nice to have. I also like (for personal reasons) the Voigtländer Vitorets, cheap and simple but effective.
The Argus C3 is quite enjoyable as well, and has a nice retro look.

Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Your opinions on vintage RF gents . . . Reply with quote

j.lukow wrote:
I don't know why but I've been cruising eBay looking at some of the RF's available - especially the vintage ones.

I'm interested in the vintage ones for a couple of reasons . . .

In my cruises I've seen many different ones - but one that caught my eye was a Braun Paxette (w/Steinheil lens . . . I know Rolling Eyes ), the other in large quantity was Argus Confused ..

I'm asking opinions now cause I don't really want it to be spur of the moment as these are less charted waters for me?

Did you mention the Braun Paxette?. Click here to see on Ebay ...

Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had a g/f who used a Zeiss Werra.

http://www.ukcamera.com/classic_cameras/werra1.htm

I'm not sure which model it was, but I used to think it was really cool! Anyone ever used one?