Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The dangers of wet weather - giving in to temptation... M42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: The dangers of wet weather - giving in to temptation... M42 Reply with quote

Armed with my D200 and new 17mm I set out of the office with the idea of filling my lunchbreak by taking shots of Canterbury, however the weather had other things in mind. Grey and wet, with fine rain that was whipped up by the wind in such a manner as to make all thoughts of taking pictures vanish. Instead I decided to wander over to the local camera shop.

Now I tried to be good, I resisted the 300mm AIS-ED 4.5, and the 200mm AIS that had just come in. I almost left with just the free Auto 110 Close-up lenses the owner had put aside for me. I was really trying to be good...

Then I saw it. Looking neglected and in need of a good home. You know how supposedly puppy's follow children home? Well it just looked in need of a good home.

I'm very happy with my Nikon, and can't justify buying another DSLR just to use M42 lenses at infinity, but there are so many cheap M42 lenses out there... Well it made sense to get an M42 body, and it was such a nice looking body in very good condition just needing a little clean of it's shiny pats. The original 55mm/f2 looked lovely on it - the combination just looked so elegant. Okay so I'm going to have to relearn the sunny f16 rule, I'm going to have to fork out a little for the odd roll of film and scanning every so often, but that's not a great hardship...

I'm now the proud owner of a Pentax S1a.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, Richard!
I think an M42-body is really important for a Nikon shooter. This opens up a complete new world to you!

P.S.: Just in case you don't know this site: http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/index-frameset.html?AsahiPentaxS1a.html~mainFrame

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that - I like the 'spinal Tap' description of the unmarked 1000th setting Laughing

1964-68 production run so at least 40 yrs old - my oldest SLR (so far) Smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Richard !

Your Asahi Pentax will last forever !!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 's a wonderful addition Richard. Congratultions. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news! I know I would have succumbed too Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks! It deserves proper photographs but here's a quick snap shot of it:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovely one, seems it found a good home, congrats Richard
so every time it rain, you go to the local camera shop Shocked Wink

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super. Congratulations !

LucisPictor wrote:
Congratulations, Richard!
I think an M42-body is really important for a Nikon shooter. This opens up a complete new world to you!

Yes thats true. Now you have a new reason to buy more and more and more ... lenses , especially M42 Smile There are many Takumars, CZJs, Vivitars, Soligors, Fujinons, Yashinons...and many others waiting to be bought (not speaking of the great russian ones)... http://m42.artlimited.net/site_lenses.php

I think I read somewherev (don't know which topic) that Laurence wants to sell its M42 collection.