Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Flowers and cat - getting the bug!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Flowers and cat - getting the bug!! Reply with quote

So a few more, I know I need the practice and years of experience. So there will be loads of uploads and hopefully you will see a progression. With your kind views and comments, I know I'm not in any of your leagues, hopefully I will improve. I cannot buy the experience you lot have but it's good to get free advice.

All the pictures are from my mothers garden.

Thanks

Muzza

Now the experts amongst you will probably notice the ones I shot with my teleconvertor. I think I have already discovered what you gain in length you lose in focus. Probably not gonna use it again but it only cost me £10 so not much of a loss. Unless anyone can recommend a really good one??

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of your photos are slightly out of focus.
Do you have a split screen in your camera to aid manual focus?
Also nummerize your photos. Any comment will be easier with a reference.

If possible, note your f-stop, speed, iso, distance to subject, camera/body and lens - these are useful to know as properties of each lens/camera combination.

Best regards

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget tele converter buy longer lens instead.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like the rendering on #4, what lens was it?.
None of these pictures really require a teleconverter I would think, garden flowers are generally not that easily scared that you need massive focal length to capture them Smile. One of the charms of using manual focus lenses is that it makes you slow down. Digital is free, if you don't quite nail the focus the first time, due to a breeze, a slight tilt or something else, you can just try again until you get it just right.
My advice for you would be to try without the teleconverter and take a step closer instead. A 2x converter will effectively double your focal length, but it will also halve the light that gets thru your lens, which works against you double. Aswell as reducing your sharpness a longer focal length will require a higher shutter speed (or a tripod) to get sharp images and less light means a darker viewfinder for focusing and longer shutter speeds alt. higher iso. And more importantly, read up a bit on the photographic rules of composition. Follow them religiously until you get so frekkishly bored with them that you are forced to try new things Smile

Happy shooting and good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. Number four pic is Helios 70-210mm with a 3x vivitar convertor. The lens was only a Tenner as wanted to see how I got on. Any advice on lenses?? I have Lumix gf3 and use an m42 lens.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest getting a prime lens, maybe a 50mm or on that body a 28/35 mm might be a nice fit without going too much telephoto. As for brand and make there are far more knowledgable people on this forum than I, but I know there are hardly any bad "Nifty fifties"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the helios of yours. Zoom in general is not as good optically, but there are some very good zooms.

If you like close up, try to get a prime macro lens. They can have for reasonable price in M42 mount, from ~100usd - like takumar 50/4 or 100/4 or fujinon 55/3.5. Legacy mount can be found for the same price range: pentax mltiple versions in 100/4 or 50/4 or canon fd or olympus OM, and others.

For the existing equipment you have, try to increase iso, higher shutter speed, shot many many in continuous mode to cover misfocus. You can also move your hand +/- 1-2 cm within each burst. One will be in perfect focus.

Otherwise, use a stable good tripod. Focus-shot-check-refocus-shot-check and repeat until you got the photo in focus.
Flowers are static. With tripod, you can have slow shutter speed and small aperture. M42 lens needs to open up, focus, then step down to f8-f11 then shot - a bit time consumption due to 2 extra steps, but I am sure you will find your way.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

muzza wrote:
Thanks for the advice. Number four pic is Helios 70-210mm with a 3x vivitar convertor. The lens was only a Tenner as wanted to see how I got on. Any advice on lenses?? I have Lumix gf3 and use an m42 lens.

If you already have a M42 adapter and are in Britain you should be able to grab a Helios 44 prime 58/2 for peanuts.

It's cheap, has an artistic rendering wide open, is sharp stopped down, and the 55cm minimum focus distance will let you do flower closeups.

There are lots of other cheap M42 50mm-ish primes, and they mostly give excellent results.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you all for giving your time an expertise. I have ordered myself a Helios 44-2. Can't wait to get it.. Reading nothing but excellent reviews.. Can't wait to get it and being closer to the action. Looked St the Carl Zeiss biostar - however the Russians appeared to grasp the let's make one of them but make it the usual military standard. No bad reviews. Really can't wait to use it.

Thanks you all for the help, I cannot get better without such useful information.

Wow and again wow thanks again.

Your probably treating me like the little brother or apprentice. Hopefully your insight will help me much more. . See I never knew the helios Russian is a carl zeiss Russian equivalent and built to last.

Many thanks
Des

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can tell your off to a splendid start, and the helios is a fine lens that will serve you well.
I chased the AF gear monkey for quite a while when I first started out. It got me exactly nowhere, slowly.
Just keep doing what you love, take lots of photos (The first 10000 are just practice) and learn what works, what doesn't work, what you like and what you don't like and how to critique your own work.
In the end, it's your eye and not the gear that "makes" the picture, even tho it does help sometimes. Sort of funny to say here, considering it's a forum dedicated to gear.

This was alot of advice in a very short space, so I'll excuse my preaching and let you get on with your shooting! Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions!