Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Federal 135 3.5 preset
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Federal 135 3.5 preset Reply with quote

Hi
Can anyone tell me anything about this lens as I've looked on the internet and can't find anything.?
I bought it on ebay a few months ago. The current bidding was about £8 and I decided to leave £12 but rushing at the end instead of pressing the 1 & 2 keys, I pressed 2 & 3. The under bidder was £22.. and therefore I got it unintentionally for £23.
It's really quite small, focusing at infinity 85mm long and has (I think) a 46mm filter thread with 15 aperture blades, made in Japan and is in great condition.
Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought was Federal enlargers, which were made from the 1930s into the 1960s. Maybe somebody tried to cash in on the name (or bought the trademark) when they went under. Although with with a name as general as "Federal" maybe they didn't.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got that lens with the 'Samuron' name on it, and it's a nice little lens with lots of blades - mine are oily though.
I tried it, didn't like it much and put it away, but I'm going for a walk in a minute so I've dragged it out for a second chance.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I tried the Samuron again, and got better results. But I have to say it's not a great lens. There's a lot of CA in certain situations, and it changes colour. But the biggest problem is this lens has to be used closed down, at infinity and f3.5 nothing is in focus, at f8 it's better, but still not sharp. You have to get to f16 or 22 to get any sharpness.

These are straight out the NEX5, just resized.

I've seen worse. And I'm not sure the T2 adapter is preventing perfect infinity, I've got a bunch of M42 to T2 so I'll try again.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.
I'll try and get something with mine this weekend for comparison. I'm not very experienced with criticising lenses so it'll be interesting to receive some feedback. Part of the learning curve.
I'll be using mine on an E-PL3, so a 2x crop, would this have a difference apart from the focal length?
I've had a brief play with it and it seems that wide open it does focus at infinity. Mines an M42 mount.
So roll on the weekend.
Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same but branded Sands Hunter.
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.tamron.co.jp/data/old-lens/olm135f3_5.htm
Tamron 860.
It's a good size for smaller cameras.
Apart from an old zebra Jupiter 11 it's the only lens I have left that's over 90mm Embarassed