Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hey, there is a bug in my lens! Oly 50/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Hey, there is a bug in my lens! Oly 50/3.5 Reply with quote

Of course the lens likes bugs, being a Macro, it got so close that the bug crawled inside the lens! Laughing

Don't know the real story but I got it for £9.99. As far as I can see it doesn't affect the pictures. Do I need to take it out?

These are taken by holding it with a PK adapter as I haven't yet got an OM adapter. Wide open.

#2 (sorry for high iso, but should give an idea if the bug affects the picture)

This is the bug. It is right there behind the rear element.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a new evolutionary stage of fungus! Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a bug like that in a Super Paragon 135, and as long as I gave the lens a gentle tap to make sure the bug was at the bottom and out of line of the glass it was fine. I did remove the bug in the end it seemed only right to give him a decent send off.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I had a bug like that in a Super Paragon 135, and as long as I gave the lens a gentle tap to make sure the bug was at the bottom and out of line of the glass it was fine. I did remove the bug in the end it seemed only right to give him a decent send off.

I have never opened the lens elements before so I'm little worried. The bug is stuck on the element so isn't moving but you are right, it will only be wise to get it out at some point.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing the rear element shouldn't be too hard, http://whitemetal.com/olympus/om_mc_50_35/index.htm

If you have calipers, you'd unscrew the the retaining ring with the 2 small holes, without calipers it get's much trickier,
you'd have to remove the mount(or the dust cover) to gain access to the retaining ring.

I'm not sure if the rear 2 elements may or may not come out as a group, and honestly, for what you paid, I'd get it professionally cleaned, or a quote at least, a nice lens like this isn't the best to learn on since it does have floating elements.