Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sonnar 2/50 1937 collapsible, uncoated
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Sonnar 2/50 1937 collapsible, uncoated Reply with quote

Excellent little lens, very sharp, being uncoated it is low contrast and flares a bit but after fixing contrast in PP, results are very nice. I prefer my 1950s Jupiter-8s though as they are coated.

And a stitch of 6 images, the fine detail in the full size version is superb.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty good one, indeed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the vintage look it has, a certain glow that later coated Sonnars/Jupiters don't have. Probably a very nice lens for portraits. Shame I don't have a yellow filter for it, would be interesting to shoot some BW film with a yellow filter.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This glow is suspicious to me - maybe the glass is hazy from the inside.
You should get it cleaned. This Sonnar should be much better.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
This glow is suspicious to me - maybe the glass is hazy from the inside.

+1, I never had such an old lens but many uncoated and I've never seen that kind of hazy flare. Looks also a bit suspicious to me

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this "glow" from the early Leitz lenses.
There is it typical.

I don't know this Sonnar. So I can't tell id it's normal or not.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there's any haze, and the flare is due to the direction of the sun, in #6 it was just out of frame to the left, in #3 it's just out of the top of the frame, the only two where I wasn't facing in the direction of the sun are #2 and #4.

I deliberately pointed it in the direction of the sun to find out if it was coated or not, the other early Sonnar I had was coated but such a pale blue colour it was very hard to discern with the eye, this one I wasn't sure if I could see a pale blue colour or not so I found out by shooting it.

Haze would affect the sharpness and his lens is very sharp indeed, which you can't discern from web-sized samples.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 this is normal from an un-coated lens coated and un-coated Sonnars were exists before war, Zeiss use coating from 1938.
I have both type of lens difference is very visible and my un-coated copy like this.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that the old Sonnars were glow-free stopped down. I read somewhere (I think on artaphot.ch) that the first Sonnars (both 50/1.5 and 50/2) were very sensitive to decentering bye the way.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll listen to Attila, who has actual experience of these lenses. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with this lens as the level of fine detail it captured was very high.