Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Katz eye?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Katz eye? Reply with quote

I shoot mainly with a Nikon D80. Would replacing the focussing screen by a Katz eye screen be a vast improvement for MF, or is it not worth the extra euro (I think it will be 200 euro)?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reason, you have focus confirmation with MF lenses! Little green lamp not blinking , stand on when you catch right focus with any MF lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes certainly with the D200 the focus confirmation is near spot on with the right focus point selected (I'm old fashioned abd normally leave it set to the centre recomposing if need be after focusing).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother has this screen on his D200 - absolutely loves it, particularly because his eyesight's not the best in the world. BUT 200€ is a lot: unless I desperately wanted the Katz Eye screen, I'd probably put that towards some nice lenses, or maybe towards upgrading the D80 to a second-hand D200, which are absolute bargains these days.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My eyesight usually is very good - usually, because I have hay fever and my eyesight can become unpredictably very bad in a matter of seconds. I also think that 200 euro is a lot of money for a possibly better focus screen, that is why I decided to ask first Smile Thanks for the comments.

About the D200: I'm often tempted these days to buy a second hand D200, but I already have a D80 and a D40 (which I will permanently modify for IR one of these weeks), and tomorrow I'll also have a Pentax K100D in my collection for M42 glass only. Do I really need a D200? Smile I prefer to put my current investments (*cough*) in glass rather than in another new camera.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fotomachi wrote:
My eyesight usually is very good - usually, because I have hay fever and my eyesight can become unpredictably very bad in a matter of seconds. I also think that 200 euro is a lot of money for a possibly better focus screen, that is why I decided to ask first Smile Thanks for the comments.

About the D200: I'm often tempted these days to buy a second hand D200, but I already have a D80 and a D40 (which I will permanently modify for IR one of these weeks), and tomorrow I'll also have a Pentax K100D in my collection for M42 glass only. Do I really need a D200? Smile I prefer to put my current investments (*cough*) in glass rather than in another new camera.

You're unlikely to get better images out of a D200, the major advantage is metering with manual lenses, and for me the better handling over the D80 but if I already had a D80 I'd wait until D300's started to filter through to the secondhand market...