Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina 135/2.8, Petri 28/2.8 and Canon FD 50/1.8 S.C
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Tokina 135/2.8, Petri 28/2.8 and Canon FD 50/1.8 S.C Reply with quote

Hi this is my first post here but I have been collecting lenses for a while now since I bought my NEX5N last year.
These three lenses became mine last week when an old lady gave away a camera bag to me for peanuts.
In the bag where also two macro zooms: Hanimex 80-200 and Makinon 28-80 but since they where of no interest to me I dismantled them to see how they looked inside (identical design almost, same factory?) and then threw them away.

Anyway, all three perform well when stopped down, even the Tokina 135 lens which I had not expected.
I will post photos from the test shootings soon.
//Patrik

Last edited by patrikoh on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:00 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Tokina 135/2.8, Petri 28/2.8 and Canon FD 50/1.8 S.C Reply with quote

Last edited by miran on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find! At least the Canon should be very good, the others I don't know. But why throw away the zooms? Surprised Were they no good?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
Nice find! At least the Canon should be very good, the others I don't know. But why throw away the zooms? Surprised Were they no good?

The zooms where slow and with mediocre image quality.

The Canon produces really good photos which surprises me a little, but I guess it should not come as a surprise since a lot of these "kit" primes have an undeserved reputation of being inferior to their 1:1.4 siblings, simply because they where cheaper and slightly slower.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Petri might be interesting.
My copy has glow/soft wide open, but half-click down is very sharp. Half-click = let the aperture ring in the midle of two click.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrikoh wrote:

The Canon produces really good photos which surprises me a little, but I guess it should not come as a surprise since a lot of these "kit" primes have an undeserved reputation of being inferior to their 1:1.4 siblings, simply because they where cheaper and slightly slower.

But they are inferior. I have several copies of FD 50/1.4 and 50/1.8. FD 50/1.4 is a better lens in every regard except weight, which does not mean that 50/1.8 is not a good one. It's a good lens and it can do 95% of what 50/1.4 can for cheaper.

Btw, 50/1.4 was also a kit lens as well as 50/1.4 and 50/1.7 Zeiss Planars Wink Kit lenses became a synonym of low quality only relatively recently.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kit lens follow my pentax in early 80s was K 50 f1.2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
The Petri might be interesting.
My copy has glow/soft wide open, but half-click down is very sharp. Half-click = let the aperture ring in the midle of two click.

That is my experience after several test shots, and it even shows on the NEX display Smile

Last edited by patrikoh on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
patrikoh wrote:

But they are inferior. I have several copies of FD 50/1.4 and 50/1.8. FD 50/1.4 is a better lens in every regard except weight, which does not mean that 50/1.8 is not a good one. It's a good lens and it can do 95% of what 50/1.4 can for cheaper.

Btw, 50/1.4 was also a kit lens as well as 50/1.4 and 50/1.7 Zeiss Planars Wink Kit lenses became a synonym of low quality only relatively recently.

Well Wink I might have been a little bit too quick in my conclusion regarding kit lenses.