Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Photosniper Tair 3 300mm lens- use with other camera bodies?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Photosniper Tair 3 300mm lens- use with other camera bodies? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Have done plenty of Googling, but can't seem to find a definitive answer.

I've purchased a Photosniper kit with all its bits apart from the 12S camera body.

Question is: can I use the lens with another M42 body (such as a Praktica MTL5 or equivalent) in order to get a wider range of shutter speeds, or do I need to look for a 12S/12XP/12XS body. Obviously, I realise that the Parktica won't have the special trigger adapter.

Will the fact that the aperture appears to be present on the Photosniper version of this lens prove to be a problem with other M42 camera bodies....? Can it be mounted on a tripod in the usual way...?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Photosniper can be mounted on many bodies, but the aperture will have to be stopped down manually before shooting unless you find a way of rigging it up. I've used one on a Canon 40D, but found it too annoying and fiddly.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great long lens James, and as Martin says the aperture has to be set manually on a camera type that it isn't designed for. Whether it would work on the Practika ? I'm not certain.
Where do you live ? I have some Zenits I need to get rid of. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use it wide-open for nearly every purpose so why worry.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies folks - sorry about slow reply, foum update notice went into spam...

I'm looking forward to using the Tair in that case! Lloydy - I'll PM you.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I modified my photosniper bit by removing the pin that trigger the camera and put in a wired remote control so it can work fully with the Minolta AF / Sony cameras, pretty easy and completely recoverable to its original condition, well will at least the sniper not the RC : )

A very nice lens by the way.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johan_G wrote:
I modified my photosniper bit by removing the pin that trigger the camera and put in a wired remote control so it can work fully with the Minolta AF / Sony cameras, pretty easy and completely recoverable to its original condition, well will at least the sniper not the RC : )

A very nice lens by the way.

I did exactly the same with this lens for for my 400D. I used a Spring in mine, and the trigger feeld very nice now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't found the Zenits yet, but they ARE here somewhere. Laughing I've been busy, but I'll have a good search tomorrow.