Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Chinon CG-5 body
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Chinon CG-5 body Reply with quote

Just won this on the cheap:

Click here to see on Ebay

Anybody have experience with this camera body?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the CE-5 which I like a lot. I think the two are similar.

I like the CE-5 a lot, it's a solid and well made camera, aluminium chassis and steel lens mounts etc. It's a decent specification for an old manual camera, and it works very well. My only criticism is that the shutter is a bit clunky, but nowhere near as bad as a Practika or Zenit.
The light seals on mine were very bad though, a really horrible sticky mess that let the light flood in. But they are easy to do.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap enough price .....but have only played with a few Chinons (for a few minutes) at boot sales Sad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloyd and Excal, thanks, need to find a lens for it, but think I have
an M42>Pentax K adapter around here somewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Lloyd and Excal, thanks, need to find a lens for it, but think I have
an M42>Pentax K adapter around here somewhere.

If you don't want to spend much money on Pentax bayonet lenses......You might like to ask the forum if there are any decent Centon lenses to use with the camera.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of Centon, but did a search on ebay...hummm. Yes, if any one knows which
ones are good would be most helpful.

Excal, if you want to buy me this lens, I won't stop you:

Laughing

Not too impressive a review for the above zoom:

http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_684.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
I've never heard of Centon, but did a search on ebay...hummm. Yes, if any one knows which
ones are good would be most helpful.

Excal, if you want to buy me this lens, I won't stop you:

Laughing

Well I learn something every day Laughing The only lenses I have with Pentax bayonet are the Pentax M 75-150mm f4 and M 24-35mm f3.5, Centon 50mm and Ensinor 80-200mm f5.5 (yes f5.5) and Ozeck 75-200mm f4.5

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So has the Centon 50?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Chinon CX, by the looks of it a bit older design with M42 mount, but I still see many similarities so I suppose it's not really that much different. It's a nice camera, actually the best M42 camera I have, but the focusing screen isn't the best, the shutter is quite loud and it only has stopdown metering. The meter seems to be accurate though. The light seals on mine have been reduced to gunk as well but I don't get any light leaks. Btw, that's a very good price. I paid something like 30€ for mine with the 55mm/1.7 lens included and it doesn't even look that shiny. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
So has the Centon 50?

Well the idea was to give you a tip on a Pentax bayonet lens that no ones bothers about and going cheap erm but it's old news and I've noticed on the bay a Centon 50mm F1.7 ATM is going for a silly price of £40 inc postage. Well it's OK stopped down but you can get better 50mms for that money........maybe best to forget Centon lenses unless someone else says otherwise Wink