Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Neg Post about zooms got me thinking-Vivitar 35-70mm 2.8-3.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Neg Post about zooms got me thinking-Vivitar 35-70mm 2.8-3.8 Reply with quote

I always get the feeling that zooms get a bad rap.....in the posts.

So I dug out a few zooms.......some are bad....but some not.

The Series 1 Vivitar 70-210mm I put to one side......this already has a good name.

The smaller 35-70 stepped up to the plate. I think it is ok..on the nex-5n

F2.8 35mm range.

Crop

Crop

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from a touch of under-exposure I'd say you've proved a point well. I have the 70-210 and have thought about the 35-70, shots like this push me further towards buying one.
Thanks for the example. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my tests:- some zooms, at their sweet spots and stopped down, can equal an average prime from well known makes i.e. you cannot see a difference in sharpness in a normal sized print. And would also add some zooms give a nice bokeh as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense but I'm not convinced by the image you have posted.
Even average 35mm primes will do it better.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that zooms are equal or better than primes.
(the 30+ primes in my collection are proof which is best)

Just that they get a negitive almost don't pick one up they a waste reputation and I would like to give this lens a bit of limelight.
Well done manufacturer for Vivitar. Thank you for this lens.

They are what they are a compromise in optics to get different focal lengths.

They are fun. Give IMHO a good picture and teach users how to frame without moving. Smile

And for the price welll I'll just say value for money....

Try one

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Some zoom lenses are really good. I especially like several Tamron zooms and that Vivitar that you mention is also a really good lens - and pretty fast!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wide Vivitar S1's are good, and I believe under rated. I have a 24-48 3.8 which is a terrific performer on my Pentax K10.

I keep looking at this 35-70 when I see it for sale, but I resist because I have it pretty much covered by the 24-48 and the 70-210.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried lots of zooms and most were not good, but some were very good.

All the Konica zooms I have are very good indeed, as good as primes from lesser makers, in fact, they are better than a lot of cheap third party primes.

MC Rolleinar 4/80-200 was very good, it's a Mamiya

Soligor 70-150 made by Tamron was very good too, at f8 and distance, it was very sharp.

Panagor (Kiron) 70-150 was also very good, it's also sold as a Yashica ML, Nikon E and others.

But there were many that were bad, distortion, CA, bad bokeh, softness, low contrast, often all present at same time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking about zoom vs prime, I recently read a discussion of Sony NEX users about Minolta MD 35-70mm f/3,5. They say it shows very good results. Here copied comparison with primes. (OKC 35/2 is a cinecamera lens)
It is simple resolution test. Left upper corner.