Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

[Help!] Focus to infinity issue
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: [Help!] Focus to infinity issue Reply with quote

Hi all, it's my first post here, and unfortunately it's not a happy one...
I'm a happy owner of a nex 5n and a bunch of zeiss primes, and recently i bought the tokina 17 3,5 in konica ar mount. I also bought two adapters off ebay, one of them being a fotga, because i noticed a problem with the infinity.
It seems that i reach infinity before the full rotation of the lens, a couple of mm before the mark... Do you know if it's the lens, if it can be fixed or what i should do? Get another one?
Thank you all...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most adapters focus past infinity, to allow for badly calibrated lenses Smile The really expensive ones are usually perfect however.

P.s. Please don't post using caps, it represents shouting, thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry Too much, and just use it as it is.
Otherwise you should try the lens on a camera without adapter, to see if I'd it the lens that does actually go past infinity, or if it is the adapter that's too thin. If it is You can shimmer it, but if it's really 2mm I'd use the lens as it is.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you say that it's the adapter's fault, not the lens... By the way, I've 2 other adapters fort he nex, a contax yashica and a m42, and they both don't focus past infinity. Do you think that getting another adapter would fix the problem?

[really sorry for the caps...]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting a different adapter may fix this, but the majority of adapters (certainly the cheaper ones) seem to focus past infinity regardless. There is of course the possibility that the lens is calibrated incorrectly...do you have another Konica lens to try?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's most certainly adapter. I wouldn't worry at all, most adapters are a tad shorter to allow for lens variation. You will have difficulties finding the one that is spot on. The real problem is when you cannot reach infinity.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did reply already in other post, Fotga is accurate adapter not pass infinity, Pixco pass it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens, mine focuses only to infinity, not past it, my adapter came from big is.

Just be sure to use live view.

I know my lens is calibrated okay as I use it on my Konica film bodies and infinity does seem to be where it should be.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saffersteve wrote:
WOW !!!!!!!

4 x shims required.

Please don't attemt to do this under the influence of alcohol or while operating any heavy machinery Very Happy

Steps
1) unscrew
2) play with a printer
3) play with scissors (don't run)
4) Put shims on top of each other....make holes with a sharp screwdriver
5) screw back together

Hope to do some testing tomorrow.

This is what I did to correct the FFL which I posted under another post. Not only does this make Infinity easier....it also improves the sharpness of Zoom lens with a non-movable rear element.

Hope it helps

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use tinfoil tape as shims, to get me close as possible to infinity without going past, works like a charm.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a whole morning full of screwdrivers, paper, scissors and various tests, I think i've fixed the issue. But when i checked the thread to get back to you with these good news, i saw saffersteve anticipated me. Well, i did what he did, just for my adapter 2 pieces of paper, one above the other, are enough.

Thank you all for the replies, btw.
Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I did reply already in other post, Fotga is accurate adapter not pass infinity, Pixco pass it.

I think it depends on who knows what, like date of manufacture, batch, and phase of the moon. I've had Fotga Nikon-NEX adapter and it didn't reach infinity. I've also tried a couple of FD-NEX big_is adapters, one focused to about 10 meters, the second one to about 50 meters. Bottom line is that they are all inconsistent.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
I use tinfoil tape as shims, to get me close as possible to infinity without going past, works like a charm.

Good idea. I've been using hammered notebook paper. Number of hits can control thickness a few microns at a whack. And hitting the paper makes it hard.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i actually prefer to have an adapter which focuses a tad past infinity. I hardly ever scale focus, and if i do it is just to set the hyperfocal distance, which doesn't have to be extremely precise. Furthermore, any close focus I might lose, I can easily make up with macro tubes.

With my Nex (3 or 5n, 5n with eye level finder), I focus past infinity, then carefuly "back into" precise. focus using focus peaking and mf assist. I feel this gives me a more precise infinty.

P.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much same here except for 1:1 macro lenses... then it's seems a little more critical to shim it out if it's too much.