Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New field of my hobby: Infrared photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: New field of my hobby: Infrared photography Reply with quote

Hi!

I had the chance to acquire a rebuilt Canon G3. (Yes, I have broken my vow. But then not really, because I did not buy a new lens! Wink)

In this cam the protective glass in front of the sensor has been replaced by a infrared filter. This is a fantastic solution for infrared photography IMHO, because you can see the image and the resulting effect on the screen directly when shooting and outside you can often shoot at 1/125s or shorter so handheld is not problem!

The Ganon G3 is an amazing cam BTW and 4 MPix are definitely enough for my IR shots.

This is fun!

Here are some of the shots I took during the last days:

Wetzlar, river Lahn

Ruins of Castle Staufenberg

Molfsee, Northern Germany

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carsten: AWESOME! Really interesting IR effect. Does the camera do color IR as well?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Carsten: AWESOME! Really interesting IR effect. Does the camera do color IR as well?

Thanks. Nope, the used filter cannot record in colour. All you get is a brownish RAW file. Wink
JPEG is fine. You need to adjust the levels a little and that's it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is superb work Carsten.
I have tried IR a just a little bit with filters, but I struggle Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool These are beautiful!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always liked the look of IR photography and these are no exception, beautiful.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carsten have you printed any out to see what they look like? That last one would look nice hanging on a wall.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"I had the chance to acquire a rebuilt Canon G3. (Yes, I have broken my vow. But then not really, because I did not buy a new lens! )

In this cam the protective glass in front of the sensor has been replaced by a infrared filter. This is a fantastic solution for infrared photography IMHO, because you can see the image and the resulting effect on the screen directly when shooting and outside you can often shoot at 1/125s or shorter so handheld is not problem!

The Ganon G3 is an amazing cam BTW and 4 MPix are definitely enough for my IR shots."

Carsten, is this an easily reversible modification ? I've got a G3 which I still use a bit, if I could change the screen fairly easily I'd love to try IR.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last one and the image before are my faves. On total all images are very nice. Some of them look like at a cold winter morning with snow and ice.

Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

Carsten, is this an easily reversible modification ? I've got a G3 which I still use a bit, if I could change the screen fairly easily I'd love to try IR.

Well, not really. You need to take apart most of the cam and make sure that no dust gets in between the sensor and the IR glass.
And that 830nm IR glass is not cheap. It's about €80,-.

But do you really use your G3 for regular photography often? Perhaps it's worth it to convert.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really special stuff carsten! pushed me to go on ebay and i found a service that for $100 usd will convert my 'never used but no one wants to buy but still very good' canon s90! they offer a variety of filters from 590 to 850. i'm thinking of the 720 as that is the most high contrast for b&w that can also still be used in color...thanks for a new project!

tony

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the 720nm still offer the chance to shoot freehand? That is priceless!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes they specifically say it does...tbh i would only shoot handheld.
tony

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case it might be the best solution. Coloured IR shots are also pretty interesting!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:

+10 I wish to do same!! Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad at all!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Lloydy wrote:

Well, not really. You need to take apart most of the cam and make sure that no dust gets in between the sensor and the IR glass.
And that 830nm IR glass is not cheap. It's about €80,-.

But do you really use your G3 for regular photography often? Perhaps it's worth it to convert.

Interesting............

I use my G3 as a 'jobbing camera' in my workshop and places like that now. It's a very versatile camera, I love the foldout screen and the level of control that is available. But it's not sacrosanct !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried IR imaging for a while and it is fun, but I quickly got bored with it. I just use an old point and shoot Olympus with a 720 filter. The IR cut filter on older cameras is much less and on my particular model I only lose 3.5 stops, so it's no problem to hand-hold.