Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

4x5 sheet film. Which to buy?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: 4x5 sheet film. Which to buy? Reply with quote

I'm just now getting all my Kit together for my Large format Kodak Master View 4x5 camera. I've a 90mm f/6.8 Wollensak Raptor lens, a Schneider 180mm f/5.6-315mm f/12 convertible lens and hopefully I'll win an Ilex anastigmat Paragon 7 1/2 inch f/4.5 lens. (that comes with some other kit)

So the question is what recommendation do you have for color film with good saturation and sharpness and what black and white for good contrast with this kit shooting landscapes? In other words what would you do?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What comes first cheap any of them good to get practice.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can try 4x5 Fomapan 100 it costs 21.8€/25pcs or 34.6€/50pcs, so you can go as low as 0.7€ per photo (~0,85 USD) here in czechia. maybe somewhee in US is Foma even cheaper...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a suggestion -
I am assuming you will be developing film, etc.

Get used to large format with photo paper negatives.

advantages -
- Cheap ! Just cut to fit on a paper cutter and slide into your holders. $30 will set you up with paper developer,, fixer, and @100 shots

- Easy as pie to develop in open pans, you can use an amber safelight, and you can see when to pull it from the developer. No timing or temperatures to worry about.

- Easy to scan on standard flatbed scanner, no need for film scanner that can do 4x5. Just invert to positive in PP, and fix the contrast.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Just a suggestion -

advantages -
- Cheap ! Just cut to fit on a paper cutter and slide into your holders. $30 will set you up with paper developer,, fixer, and @100 shots

- Easy as pie to develop in open pans, you can use an amber safelight, and you can see when to pull it from the developer. No timing or temperatures to worry about.

- Easy to scan on standard flatbed scanner, no need for film scanner that can do 4x5. Just invert to positive in PP, and fix the contrast.

+10
and once get experience take Foma , superb film and inexpensive I did try dozen of films , foma is one of the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
luisalegria wrote:
Just a suggestion -

advantages -

+10
and once get experience take Foma , superb film and inexpensive I did try dozen of films , foma is one of the best.

I'll give that as try later Luis. And Foma or Arista EDU will probably be the B&W I'll get. Which color film for good saturation and sharpness?

I like the Kodak Ektars but are there better ones? Cheaper too?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for 4x5 i would not recommend any compromises. in negatives there are ektar100 or portra160/160vc, you can use inverse materials from kodak or fuji, but its not any cheaper. so i believe that ektar100 is in this case optimal negative sheet film.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob van Sikorski wrote:
for 4x5 i would not recommend any compromises. in negatives there are ektar100 or portra160/160vc, you can use inverse materials from kodak or fuji, but its not any cheaper. so i believe that ektar100 is in this case optimal negative sheet film.

Thank you Bob. I'm leaning that way too.