Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma Aspherical 1.8 28mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Sigma Aspherical 1.8 28mm Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me about this lens? I have a chance to buy one at what seems like a good price but being a Sigma, I am sceptical it is any good.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the second version, bought years ago
it is not compatible with digital canon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aah, that is good to know, cheers.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it's not compatible, it's a FD mount. Poilu, what do you think about the lens though? I saw it on German e-bay last week, but it went for the price typical for Canon FD 28/f2, so I did not bid, this being a Sigma.

Last edited by fermy on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture isn't the lens I saw locally, it's just one I grabbed off the net to illustrate.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When this lens was first released there were rave reviews about it in the British photo press. I could not afford it then and I can not afford it now

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know where there's one in FD mount for 39ukp if that's within your budget Trev.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian - not sure why you should have a 'presumption of inferiority' about Sigma lenses. I have several, both AF and MF, and all of them are actually quite good. The MF ones seem to go very cheaply these days . . . £39 for an FD mount 28/1.8 looks good to me (if it's in good order). I could put that on my Lumix G1.Very Happy

Whether the new prices are value for money though, I can't say.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going by the ones I've owned that were really crap, I know not all Sigmas are crap but they have certainly made quite a lot of bad lenses. I'd be happy to give you the details of the online shop that has this, I would be tempted to take it myself for my NEX but I honestly don't need any more 28mm lenses and money is very tight atm.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian - if you don't fancy it, I'd be happy to have details of its wherabouts. I think your standards might be a bit higher than mine - !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt my standards are higher, just the Sigmas I had were the cheapest ones and you get what you pay for. The UC zooms were pretty bad, but the ones that really sucked were the ones badged Prakticar in PB mount, the 2.8/135 was awful, even at f8 on a tripod with the focus set to 50m, nothing was very sharp.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UC zooms were indeed pretty awful! Mind you I had their old 20-35mm zoom that was built like a tank and quite sharp.

Then more recently many EX lenses were good like 15-30mm, 30/1.4, 50/1.4, 70mm macro etc

Their premium telephotos are fantastic value for money too.