Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kodak 3A Special - Goerz lens, Volute shutter, red bellows
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Kodak 3A Special - Goerz lens, Volute shutter, red bellows Reply with quote

This is a Kodak 3A Special - VERY special !
This is a model B-4 - I believe this one dates from around 1908 - if so, its the oldest camera I have.

Kodak made the 3A roll-film cameras for 40 years (1903-1943). These used 122 film, shooting a 3 1/4 x 5 1/2 "postcard" format.
This was an extremely popular camera, made in many types, with different features, finish, bellows, backs, grades of leather, etc. Some even had rangefinders. Of course prices matched the features. The top of the line were given the best available lenses and shutters of the day, being as they were Kodak's premium cameras. The 3A specials, at least in their first 20 years, usually were the best "consumer" cameras Kodak offered - call them the Canon 5DIII of their time.

This one is a very special "Special". It has the red bellows, but only typical leather (not the seal-grain or morocco); but the important bit is its got a 6 1/2 inch Goerz Double Anastigmat (may be a Celor) 2.9 (American system) aperture in a Volute shutter - the Volute was the super-shutter of the time, made without a separate diaphragm - the shutter blades themselves formed the aperture. The aperture translates to about f/6.8 or so I think, which would match the typical lens supplied with the 3A's.

This one has been well taken care of it seems, as the lens and shutter are in excellent functional condition, and the bellows are perfect. I am still not sure what I'm going to do with it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a fine example of a classic camera.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful piece!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice !

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn beautiful, in every sense. Congratulations on such a find!