Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Using a TAIR-3 with a M39 mount on a Canon EF dSLR
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Using a TAIR-3 with a M39 mount on a Canon EF dSLR Reply with quote

Hello dear forum,

I would like to mount a M39 TAIR-3 to a Canon dSLR (full frame).

I stumbled on a beautiful TAIR-3 almost MINT lens which I purchased impulsively for EUR 80. This is not the photosniper version, but the Grand Prix one.

I have not measured yet, but I fear this has an M39 mount. My research points me to an easy adaptation of a M42 mount TAIR-3, but big problems with a M39 mount. The M39 -> Canon EF adaptors on ebay also point out to the fact that the lens becomes MACRO. Hey - who needs a 300mm MACRO lens Smile

Can you point me towards directions on how to adapt a M39 mount TAIR-3 on my Canon dSLR?

thanks!

Blaise

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The Tair is made for slr m39 and not rangefinder m39. Slr m39 has the same register distance as m42.

You need a m39 to m42 ring and a m42 to eos Wink

Click here to see on Ebay

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably bought the AF confirm m42 to eos version. (I have one and it worked fine on my friends 5D mkII)

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Slr m39 has the same register distance as m42.

The early Zenit cameras used an M39 screw mount with a register of 45.2 mm. Later cameras used M42 with a register of 45.5 mm. During the changeover I think there was some "mixing", e.g. M39 with a 45.5 mm register. The Zenit archive used to provide a lot of relevant information ..., line drawings , manuals, etc. Unfortunately it closed recently. However if you search you can find copies of camera manuals. So, for example, this link includes a copy of the Zenit 3M camera manual which tells us that the M39 "working distance" is 45.2 mm.

The small difference between the two registers may seem small, but for some lenses it may be important. For the Tair 3 (Focal Length = 300 mm), with M39 mount and 45.2 mm register, mounted on an M42 45.5 mm register camera, infinity is estimated at ~ 300 m. I guess that lots of people can live with that. However for the Mir 1B (FL = 37 mm), again 45.2 mounted on 45.5, infinity is nearer to 4.5 m - not so good !

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the fast and constructive feedback.

I finally measured my lens attachement and I'm lucky: it's an M42 Smile

I have an adapter and tested it on the Canon 5D2. I LOVE IT!

Beautiful bokeh, sharp and contrasty. Strong vignetting on full frame, but who cares - I love vignetting Smile

Focusing is actually quite easy with the size of the ring. What bothers me is that when I touch the aperture ring it also affects the focus ring - I think the aperture ring needs some lube!

Blaise