Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

aus Jena or made in jena?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: aus Jena or made in jena? Reply with quote

Attila and may be Orio (I don't remember well) are right whe say than the CZJ with the words "aus jena" are perhaps better than the CZJ "made in jena" ones.

It seemed sillines to me. But I tested two pancolar 50 mm, one aus jena and the other made in jena.

The definition is closely for both. But the contrast is much more strong in the aus jena. Different is very, very noticeable. Casuality? I don't think so.

Well, we have to look for aus jena CZJ.

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never seen Made in Jena, perhaps fake..

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila, I think it was a figure of speach

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

piticu wrote:
Attila, I think it was a figure of speach

Thanks piticu

Attila, bad boy Laughing

I don't remember what's the lens say, perhaps "Carl zeiss jena".

But be that as it may, the "aus jena" is better. I saw this.

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "aus Jena" ones were made in the GDR for export to the Western European countries and overseas. The Carl Zeiss Jena ones were made for the Eastern European countries. This was due to the fact the Carl Zeiss was split after WWII in the company in Oberkochen (renowned for the Contax and Hasselblad lenses) and the Company in Jena (M42 and Pentacon six lenses). Since Praktica cameras were saled in Western Germany and western Europe they had to rename the lenses.

Basically the "aus Jena" ones and the ones with Carl Zeiss Jena are the same. Quality control might have been better for the export versions.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an old thread,
I hope people are still alive Smile

I have seen three types of old zeiss lenses marked as

aus Jena
Jena
Carl Zeiss Jena

For clarification : Is the belief that the exported models labelled -aus Jena- or -Jena- have maybe better QC than -Carl Zeiss Jena- ?

If so, this is very interesting, because I observe that on ebay, auction prices for lenses that are marked -Carl Zeiss Jena- tend to be higher. So people are paying more for inferior QC ?

That is funny ! People pay more for the name than the quality.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnBar wrote:
That is funny ! People pay more for the name than the quality.

Sure, people are stupid, hence they pay a fair wad for fake Gucci handbags etc. Cachet name = value, often regardless of quality.

Even the crap Sigma and Cosina lenses marked Carl Zeiss sell for decent prices, yet you can buy the exact same lenses with Cosina, Sigma or other brandings for much less.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IANUS wrote:
The "aus Jena" ones were made in the GDR for export to the Western European countries and overseas. The Carl Zeiss Jena ones were made for the Eastern European countries. This was due to the fact the Carl Zeiss was split after WWII in the company in Oberkochen (renowned for the Contax and Hasselblad lenses) and the Company in Jena (M42 and Pentacon six lenses). Since Praktica cameras were saled in Western Germany and western Europe they had to rename the lenses.

Basically the "aus Jena" ones and the ones with Carl Zeiss Jena are the same. Quality control might have been better for the export versions.

+1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1.

Perhaps the people is not so stupid.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I don't know very well all the dirty details. Can someone elaborate which Carl Zeiss and Pentacon labelled lenses are Sigma and Cosina made?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to muddy the waters here, but take a look at this lens. A rather common 80mm f/2.8 Tessar in Exakta mount. If you loosen a couple of grub screws near the top of the lens mount, you find that the 35mm Exakta mount slips off leaving behind a large multi-lobed MF lens mount (not P6, but probably original Exakta 66).

Anyway, more to the point of this thread, if you look at the lens front retaining ring, you will notice it reads "C.Z. Jena". If you remove this ring, you will find a second intact ring below, which I think at one time read "Carl Zeiss Jena" , but the "l Zeiss" part has been scratched out rather crudely. Why bother doing the surgery on the original retaining ring if you are going to cover it up anyway? Perhaps the scratch out was done at the exporter and the new ring was added at the importer to comply with international agreements and patent/copyright law?

I wonder if this lens was made in the same factory as the Pancolars?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you said, VEB Carl Zeiss Jena can not use the name Carl Zeiss when export, so they use only some word in their old name. And yes it is, by VEB Carl Zeiss Jena.
If you change a little bit in Planar co(Carlzeiss Ost) you will have the name Pancolar.