Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Om, stiff ring
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Om, stiff ring Reply with quote

Hi all,
a while back i bought an om1 from a guy who didn't include the fact that you would need a vice grip to move the shutter ring on the camera. Its ok on the very slow speeds but once you get up to 125 it feels like a two handed job almost to move it. I have seen bits and pieces on the net about repairing this and was wondering if anyone here had a simple way for an idiot like me to fix it?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just downloaded the repair manuals for the OM 1, I'll look in the browser 'History' and see if the link is still there.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://benoit.suaudeau.perso.neuf.fr/Manuels.html

Yes they are, there's four PDF downloads of the complete service manuals here. along with some Canon, Pentax, Olympus, Minolta, Leica and many more manuals.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks m8. Afraid its well beyond my capabilities, i suppose a drop of oil wouldn't do it?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only had my OM1 a week, and I know nothing about them at all, but looking at the shutter speed ring with the lens off I would be tempted to slacken the three screws on the face of the lens mount slightly and see if the ring frees up a bit. Hopefully some of the Olympus gurus will know if taking the ring off altogether is easy or best avoided, and whether some lube will help. There might be electrical contacts in there ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what i have read the main thing seems to be connected to a string on the inside, if that gets messed up when you are "fixing" the ring i think the shutter speeds are no longer right or the messages to camera are off. I may be mistaken but i think thats what turned me off messing with it, i don't think its just the 3 screws though i could be wrong, i usually am Wink