Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zodiak - Trying to Dial It In - New Test Shot - Better!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Zodiak - Trying to Dial It In - New Test Shot - Better! Reply with quote

Still not giving up on the Zodiak, although some of the first images were horrendous.

So, bear in mind that this is not a beauty contest! Laughing Just trying different focal distances,
subjects, environment, etc.

I was nearly touching the foreground flowers, no more than a few inches away.

I didn't even write down the usual details, it was just a snapshot.

Will scan others.

Almost right on top of the main Poppy. Might have oversharpened a little, but at least getting a feel for what images
from this lens might look like, and maybe where it might be at its best for type of shooting.

Last edited by Laurence on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:44 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's nice Larry, great use of the distortion. Some PP and that could be a great shot I think.

What's the issue you're having with your Zodiak? Attila has shown me some stunning shots with his, if your copy is less than stellar, you might consider sending it to a technician for overhaul, sometimes these Russian lenses are poorly assembled and a thorough overhaul can transform their performance.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
That's nice Larry, great use of the distortion. Some PP and that could be a great shot I think.

What's the issue you're having with your Zodiak? Attila has shown me some stunning shots with his, if your copy is less than stellar, you might consider sending it to a technician for overhaul, sometimes these Russian lenses are poorly assembled and a thorough overhaul can transform their performance.

Thanks ian! In another thread I described the possible problems with my Zodiak. Only yesterday did I decide
to shake the lens, and I could hear what sounded like glass rattling around! Shocked

I'm just about set to send to moleman (from this forum) for a bit of cleaning and anything else he might feel would
do the lens some good.

Just getting some shots now to see how it might do as a 'fisheye', landscaper, portrait, etc. Just snapshots for now, not
looking for stunning scenery or anything like that. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look forward to more shots from it when you get it looked over, it's one of the lenses I really wish I had.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I open more developed transparencies, I'm finding that the Zodiak is
acceptably sharp on some of them. I still have hopes for this lens.

This is a 'raw' image straight from the lens and scanner. A little bit of
USM will sharpen this up. Not all that bad, really.

Just Some Rocks
Pentax 645
Zodiak-8 30/3.5
1/125th at f:4
Provia

Unsharp Mask applied to center area.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that rocks shot. There's a lot of texture there that better sharpening algorithims (adobe still hasn't come up with a good one imho) would really bring out.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Larry, some ideas on "getting your rocks off"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, either I am stupid or the uploading of pics could be a lot easier,how do you upload without pictures sticking together or is there a way to place them in post by moving them around? I reiterate, I probably am, just stupid.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Hi Larry, some ideas on "getting your rocks off"

Is this what you want ? Quote this post to have a look at the text formatting and then I'll remove the post.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,Yup that is what I would like to do and much appreciate your concern in alleviating my stupid syndrome. Regards

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He only missed a single carriage return, easily done.

I liked that Dogwood pic so much I had to have a go at some PP:

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice one Ian,and Duh, missed the carriage return trick,thanks a bunch.kryss

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
He only missed a single carriage return, hardly necessary to correct him. Rolling Eyes

What's the problem ? I was responding to a question ...

...how do you upload without pictures sticking together or is there a way to place them in post by moving them around?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I misread the post, hence I edited my post. Don't get yer knickers in a knot.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I misread the post...

Easily done.
Quote:
Don't get yer knickers in a knot.

I'll try not to.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am AMAZED at the unique variations you guys can make with the original images. Shocked
THIS is what it's all about, at least for me. When we allow editing of images, it's a big win, because
it is basically a bunch of photographers showing what is in their minds for editing. Very Happy Very cool.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning Larry, trust you are OK with pp'ing your pics although some members don't agree with pp, prefer as shot, oh well welcome to 21st century.

I still shoot a lot of film,35mm 6x6 and 6x7. I sold my Linhof 4x5 lenses and massive tripod. Too old to lug around and no longer have my studio.
Good luck with replacing your camera, AX and hassy Xpan seem a bit steep in price. I find my Konica Omega c/w 90mm & 180mm provide superb
shots plus super neg that doesn't need any cropping or waste of space. Anyhow, keep shooting and have fun.

Regards kryss

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey kryss: A unique perspective on the red poppy. No doubt this was heavily sharpened, and
I can see what you are possibly going for is texture. Not bad, but your others are better. But
again, that's what it's all about. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
By the way, either I am stupid or the uploading of pics could be a lot easier,how do you upload without pictures sticking together or is there a way to place them in post by moving them around? I reiterate, I probably am, just stupid.

I really doubt that you are stupid! Smile The images are certainly ok as you presented them. No one
said you need a space between them. I don't think we are that formal in the MFLenses forum . Cool
After all, they are all showing the full image.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
By the way, either I am stupid or the uploading of pics could be a lot easier,how do you upload without pictures
sticking together or is there a way to place them in post by moving them around? I reiterate, I probably am, just stupid.

Hi kryss, I edited your posts. You need to insert a carriage return between text and pictures, and between pictures too.
I always enter one after each pic is uploaded. Also spaces between words and capital letters at the beginning of a sentence
help reading as well. If you're using a phone I can understand the difficulty.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Larry's original shot of the poppy the best. I'm not keen on the edit done to it. However, Ian's edit of the Dogwood is an improvement as the original lacked contrast.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Peter.