Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which version is this Jupiter-9?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Which version is this Jupiter-9? Reply with quote

I saw a Jupiter-9 lens selling in a local camera shop and I am not sure which version it is. It's black and is recognizable by it's wavy aperture ring. It looks similar to this lens (if not that exact version) that I found on Google:

Which year and which version is this? It's selling for around 141 USD. Is it a good deal?

I tried googling about this but ended up more confusing because looks like there are a lot of different versions like the mc and non-mc; type 1 and type 2; zenit vs Kiev vs Zorki, etc.

One that concerns me most is this len's aperture ring. Is it with click stop? Cause I am intending to use this lens more on movie recording and I guess it would be better for it to have smooth non-stop aperture adjustment? Any ideas?

I know I might be able to get a cheaper one like on eBay but since I can actually see and try out the lens before in a local store to see if it's lemon. I am interested. But just not sure how this version is compared to older silver versions or even other black versions.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chances of it being a lemon are very slim. It shouldn't have click stops as it's a preset version. It will be single coated but the coating is excellent.

You can tell the year by the first two digits of the serial number.

I think 100USD is about what you could expect to pay on ebay.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Chances of it being a lemon are very slim. It shouldn't have click stops as it's a preset version. It will be single coated but the coating is excellent.

You can tell the year by the first two digits of the serial number.

I think 100USD is about what you could expect to pay on ebay.

Oh ya forgot about the coating part.

I heard that the later versions have no coating? Is that true?
Is this version the later version?

But ya, eBay is definitely cheaper, but I also saw some threads on the internet saying some Russian sellers selling on eBay actually sell lenses that have been severely modified. But there are also some positive experiences. So really not sure.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I've owned several J-9's over the years(silver, black, MC version) but the absolute best I've ever owned or used was a 1974 black version which looks identical to the image posted here. It is amazingly sharp wide open and only gets better from there. The colors and contrast a little lighter than with the MC version but since I shoot RAW this isn't an issue.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to my serial number, mine is from 1971 and looks identical to the picture above.
No clicks in the preset aperture so great for video.
I was very lucky and only paid 40GBP (still thanking Graham for that).

Some samples here http://forum.mflenses.com/jupiter-9-samples-t50431.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

141 USD not bad , locally we have more less same price around 120 USD.

I had numerous J9 I not found any lemon copy , all was excellent , some of them stunning, this lens is SLR lens M42 or M39 mount.
My favorite is RF lenses and earliest as possible , but latest one 1977 lens what I have just good as than early ones.